Will my fish survive during break?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodeyesniper

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,
My spring break starts next week, from the 3rd to the 11th and I'm wondering if I should bring my fish tank home with me or if I could leave it at school. I have a 10g tank with bettas, neons, and some shrimp and a snail.

My fish would be unable to be fed for 8 days and I'm worried they will die while I'm gone, even if I put in a multiple day feeder.

Thanks for the help!

It depends how confident you are in your water quality and equipment. I'd look into an automatic fish feeder. I don't care for them, but I know people who swear by it's convenience.

I think the stress would kill them faster than going without food for 8 days. Fish are quite resilient and find food easy. You could buy a small thing of food at the pet store. It looks like a can of fish food with a screen over it. They will pick at it for a few days. There are some that last 3-5 days, and some last longer. I am not familiar with automatic feeders, but for a 10 gallon, it almost seems unnecessary.

I'm confident in my water quality and equipment. How do the automatic feeders work?

@dlongbeach, what stress are you talking about?

They will be fine for 8 days with out food. Do a big water change the night before you leave, feed them right before you leave. There's no need to spend the extra money of feeding blocks or auto feeders.

I just looked into an automatic feeder, it looks like I'd have to keep my aquarium hood open for the whole week, which could allow my betta to jump, right?

goodeyesniper said:
I just looked into an automatic feeder, it looks like I'd have to keep my aquarium hood open for the whole week, which could allow my betta to jump, right?

Just follow Mog's advice. They'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom