will my sharks eat shrimp and plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rainbows_sharks

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been told that I should wait a few weeks before I get an algae eater so that it doesn't starve to death and I'm considering shrimp and or plecos/plecostomus but i currently have two bala sharks and one rainbow shark i want to know would they eat the shrimp and if so would they eat any kind or just certain types and wold they do okay with a plecos and with in the next month or two im going to get three or four tiger barbs how would those efect the rest please help me make good decisions :confused::)

Well I had two plecos, which were in with plenty of other fish, no-one really bothers with them at all, plus they're armored fish so they should be alright with your sharks :) Also, you can get algae wafers etc from pet stores for them to eat.

Uh, if these are for the 15gallon listed in your "my tanks" you might want to stop adding fish. While I'm not sure about rainbow sharks, maybe called iridescent sharks out here, any in the family of sharks get 4 inches or longer, well into the foot range. That's way too much fish for a 15g tank, then you want to add a pleco, depending on which kind, average 4 inches plus. If you're talking the common pleco they can also get upwards into the foot range. You're looking at way over loading the bio-capacity of your tank and your fish suffering from crowded conditions, not to mention the crappy water conditions that will come.

rainbow sharks will reach 4-6 inches, and are different then iridecent sharks, but still will out grow a 15 and become territorial, so i would recommend 2 in the same tank. just my opinoin.

+1

I suggest either rehoming it or getting a 55 gallon. IME rainbow sharks and RTS can get very territorial and aggressive if not housed in the proper aqaurium.

Tyler

thanks for all the advice i have one other question

well Ive thought about it and i have a thirty gallon tank but i dont know how to tell if i can use it for fish because i had it for a lizzard i sold a while ago and i dont want to put water in it and have it brake or any thing so how do i find out if it will hold water

:2gunfire::rocol::confused::(

If it is glass, test it out by filling it a bit with water and seeing if it leaks. The 30 gal may be fine for now, but don't add any more fish. You will also have to upgrade in the future for those balas.

Hello :)
Yes, 15 gallons is much too small for the fish you have now. The Balas are going to get 16 inches... which calls for a major upgrade!
It's a good idea not to add anymore fish until you get a very large tank for the ones you have now. When the time comes, a Pleco would be fine, just be sure you get the right kind for your tank. For example, Common Plecos reach 1.5 feet, where as Bristlenose Plecos max out at 5 inches.

Good luck!
Hope this helps.

Oh, yeah, you can check for leaks by filling up your tank slowly, check for leaks, fill it up some more, check again, etc. Once the tank is full, put it in the tub (just incase) and leave it there for a few days. Once you are sure that it's watertight, it should be OK.

Back
Top Bottom