Wish me luck - 1st SW tank - 55/90 build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sjbdvm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok here goes my first SW tank, decided to start a new build thread. Decided about 6 months ago to use this empty 55 gal for a reef tank instead of another FW. Realized I had no idea what to do and started researching. Changed my mind a million times about what/how to get started. Finally decided to get going. My first purchase was this:

View attachment 253060

Husband helpfully plumbed to water supply for washing machine and we run the waste line into the washer.

Bought this next. Now I can make water.

View attachment 253061

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not sure why pics didn't work in the first post

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413486172.068058.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413486236.894743.jpg

Extra 55 gal I had laying around. This will become the sump soon. For now I'm fishless cycling 55 pounds of dry rock with ammonia. I don't have a light yet so waiting on live rock for now.

This will be the stand for the 90 gal. Haven't ordered the tank yet because this room is being renovated and only have the subfloor in. About to cut a hole so the 55 gal will be a basement sump. I'm going to take the veneer off the stand so the ugly paint splotch will be gone soon ...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413486447.786946.jpg

I will try to get a better pic this afternoon. This is my new jebao rw15 powerhead, the tank is bare bottom since there will be a transfer soon to the big tank. This means I can go crazy blasting the pump and not worry about stirring up sand.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413486727.984583.jpg

So far I have:

-Ugly but useful 55 gal using to cycle dry rock
- BRS 4 stage value plus RO/DI
-Red Sea coral pro salt
- jebao rw15 powerhead
- API test kit for NH3/NO2/NO3, I will buy better kits for other stuff once I add live things
-Aqua via 200 watt titanium heater set at 79F
-Refractometer and cheap powerhead to use for mixing SW

Need to buy soon
- lights
- another heater
- big trash can on wheels to mix more water
-decide whether to order custom tank or diy - overflow/return holes have to be on the back of tank because of how the stand is put together

Was thinking of getting 2 Tao panels for lights. Thoughts? (Don't mind upgrading to better lights later but right now this is a financial gut punch compared to what my freshwater tanks cost to start and maintain)

I didn't even know Jebao made an RW series. It looks pretty cool.

Good luck with the build. I have 2x Tao panels right now over my 90g and I like them. I have everything from softies to anemones.

Just rock, water, powerhead and heater, bare bottom except 2 little piles of tiny pieces of rock (I forgot to rinse rock before I added water oops)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413502814.104360.jpg

I added ammonia 2 days ago, yesterday test kit and heater came and nh3 was 0.5 so I added more ammonia and today it's 1.0 so I added more again

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413503031.574194.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413503059.982427.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413503081.530529.jpg

I know this is kind of the boring stage of a build thread and I'm not sure anyone's going to be reading this so thought I'd entertain myself (and you if you're lookin') with some pics of my FW tanks.

My baby, my favorite little 10 gallon
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413503325.338889.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413503381.963070.jpg

Sorry for crappy iPhone cam but too lazy to do otherwise

And my 37 finally maturing and starting to grow on me. Not what I would have chosen for fish or tank but it was free. I only moved it, broke down and put dirt and plants in it

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413503643.561490.jpg

Still pretty yellow from the dirt it's only been 4-5 months since I got it

Back
Top Bottom