Wish my Pleco would do his job...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an Albino Pleco in my community tank. I inherited him (her) when my husband's tank turned into an African Cichlid tank. He doesn't keep my glass very clean. I have a piece of manzanita that he sure likes and he used to stay hidden all of the time, but now he comes out and motors all over the place. Shouldn't his first choice of food be the film on my glass?

My bn Plecos used to hang out at the glass but as they got older they don't do it anymore. It's mostly food I drop into the tank that they want now.

Plecos aren't very good at eating algae. This is why I encourage people to only get them if they like the fish. Not for a job. If you are having algae issues then you need to look into what's causing it. Small amounts if algae is normal and heathy for a tank so if its not in excess don't worry about it. Magnetic glass cleaners do a better job at cleaning glass than plecos ;)

Plecos aren't very good at eating algae. This is why I encourage people to only get them if they like the fish. Not for a job. If you are having algae issues then you need to look into what's causing it. Small amounts if algae is normal and heathy for a tank so if its not in excess don't worry about it. Magnetic glass cleaners do a better job at cleaning glass than plecos ;)

I didn't get my Plecos for clean up. I bought them cuz they looked cool. I have Otos and nerites for clean up. I was just letting the OP know that my Plecos aren't part of my clean up crew and certainly don't behave as such now.

I didn't get my Plecos for clean up. I bought them cuz they looked cool. I have Otos and nerites for clean up. I was just letting the OP know that my Plecos aren't part of my clean up crew and certainly don't behave as such now.

Did I direct my comment at you personally? No. I was simply stating that I don't recommend them for algae eating and if you like them then that should be the reason to get them.

Did I direct my comment at you personally? No. I was simply stating that I don't recommend them for algae eating and if you like them then that should be the reason to get them.

I didn't mean any disrespect. I was just clarifying my earlier statement based your post because I totally agree with you. I apologize and I should have worded it better.

Thanks everyone. No, I didn't get the Pleco for cleaning, I inherited him and he's much happier in my community tank which is always nice to see. I don't have a huge problem at all. I have a 36 gal planted tank and it looks clean until I do my PWC and can notice just a bit on the glass. I thought that's what Plecos did-clean glass, but as someone else mentioned, he seems to prefer the flaked food that falls to the bottom or the occasional algae wafer I throw in. I was just curious. Thanks again-D

I'm glad you enjoy your pleco. Arent they awesome? Now that mine are older, they only seem to come out of hiding when tank lights are out. I may have to add a moon light.

I have no idea how old this one is, but some days he'll come out and eat with the other fish and other times not. He's probably 3-4" with his tail. It's just nice to see a fish that came out of another environment and was really shy all of the time, get to enjoy all of their surroundings and not just be stuck in a corner! He didn't live in the cichlid tank, he was in a 55 gal with a few other fish and they all survived a move when we bought the tank. That tank didn't last long-it was replaced with a 125 gal within a few months!

I'm glad you enjoy your pleco. Arent they awesome? Now that mine are older, they only seem to come out of hiding when tank lights are out. I may have to add a moon light.

I love my Pleco (mick) we adopted him 2years ago from someone keeping just him in the tiniest tank, he's now in a 55g and my hubby is going to build a 100g - 150g just so we can keep him,,,,he's awesome and he's out in the morning sat at the front of the tank waiting for me to give him his algae tablet :) I think he's out more in the day than at night ... Not so nocturnal ! Great fish doesn't clean the glass that's my job lol... He just eats and eats and poops and poops.... But I'd never give him away ..

plecos are omnivores and prefer meat over algae, even thought many will eat algae and plants they prefer driftwood and meat, if you want an algae eating pleco get a bn or a rubbernose. look up the pleco you own and make sure it gets its right diet

plecos are omnivores and prefer meat over algae, even thought many will eat algae and plants they prefer driftwood and meat, if you want an algae eating pleco get a bn or a rubbernose. look up the pleco you own and make sure it gets its right diet

I have a piece of driftwood in my tank, and I alternate food, sometimes feeding dried brine shrimp flakes. Maybe I should get something else for him.

Try some sliced up fruit (strawberries, bananas, etc) or blanched veggies (cucumber, zucchini, spinach, etc) as treats if you want some variety for him. It'll be hit or miss until you find out which treats he prefers, but there should be be something that he'll go nuts over :)

My Pleco goes nuts for cooked broccoli... It's his favourite I've tried all different foods but he goes crazy with broccoli :)

Back
Top Bottom