Wood how long to soak not to float?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mixer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I bought this wood 2 days ago, it will look great in my tank. I brought it home and because of this forum learned I might want to soak it before I put it in my tank because of leaching tannins and turning my water brown. The LFS were I bought it said it would do that (yeah sure).

Anyway it was a good thing I soaked it, it didn't leach and turn the water brown, but it floats!!

So I am now soaking to hopefully water log it so it wont float. About how long does this forum think that might take? I do understand there are a lot of factors to take into account, density of wood, type, how much moisture was already in the wood, blah, blah, blah.

Just what do you people think is a general timeframe?

Last edited:
Some wood never sinks, it depends how soft the wood is.

Your picture doesn't work, but sometimes it will never sink, sometimes it sinks straight away so there's your window. :) Depends on the wood.

That's why you need to buy Malaysian. Self-sinking. :-D

Just get stainless steel nails and a piece of limestone for base to weigh it down.

The pic may not work because I am new and it will most likely have to be approved first.

So does it really ha e to be limestone? What about marble or granite?

Ok so I got some slate, do I need to boil it? Is just a good washing ok? Is there anything I should know or do before I attach it to the wood and fling it in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom