Wooden Stand for Fish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have a 55g tank with the metal stands that it came with. I am thinking about adding 55lbs of rocks into it and I am worried that the stand might not be able to withhold the tank. So I am considering a wooden stand, I heard that it balances out the weight instead of having the tank rest on four metal legs.

It is a standard tank that is 48x12.5x20. And I recently been to some furniture store that has a few cabinets that claims to be able to hold a fish tank. But the problem is that most of them are 47x13. I am not sure if I should risk having half a inch sticking out both sides of the stand. I am worried that the tank might explode due to pressure and weight. All the cabinets I have seen have no legs and is a basic rectangular wooden cabinet.

I calculated about 45g of water (addressing the 10g volume which the sand and new rocks will take up)which is roughly 360lbs at approximately 8lb/gallon. I also have about 50lbs in sand, and perhaps 15lbs of ornaments. (dw, some fake cakes). Now with the additional 55lbs of rocks. Then the tank alone is about 20lbs, my emperor 400 is about 5lbs and I can just ignore the lights/hoods. So that accumulates to about 605lbs. I am not sure if I could rest that on any regular cabinet or would I need an aquarium-specific one.

Also another reason for the change of stand is because the metal one looks weird in the living room compared to everything else.

When looking at fish tank stands, are there anything I should keep in mind? Like the type of wood etc.

Wood is best. Teak is the best wood to use my second choice would be cedar. However those woods will get pricey. All you need is a cabinet that has a vertical support in the center to take the load and prevent the cabinet from collapsing. Just make sure the cabinet (box) has a min 3/4" panel thickness and the center support (front to back like a divider).

Back
Top Bottom