worms on glass !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lossam8199

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi guys,
I found these tiny worms crawling on my glass 2 weeks ago. they were 1 mm long. I have cut back feeding, but didn't seem to help. please help identify what is this.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398467611.736501.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398467627.915048.jpg

the pictures were 10x

I have them too in my shrimp tank. Tried + in temperature...didnt work so well either....

Continue your Awsome work!! ?

These are Planaria, a type of flatworm. They are harmless, but are sometimes indicative.of fairly high levels of organic matter,.especially uneaten food. Some fish such as blue gourami are known to enjoy them.

hi guys,
I found these tiny worms crawling on my glass 2 weeks ago. they were 1 mm long. I have cut back feeding, but didn't seem to help. please help identify what is this.View attachment 234855View attachment 234856

the pictures were 10x
I too noticed very similar worms in my tank, in a breeding box. I have only noticed them since I planted this tank??. No noticeable adverse effects on my
fish however......yet!!. I am curious too to see what they are. Great job on the picture, I couldn't get my camera to pick them up......

These are Planaria, a type of flatworm. They are harmless, but are sometimes indicative.of fairly high levels of organic matter,.especially uneaten food. Some fish such as blue gourami are known to enjoy them.

is planarian suppose to be this small? I thought they were bigger

I have them too, in my planted tanks, probably come in with the plants (along with seed shrimp, snails, and dragonfly larva. lol :D) And yes, planaria are super tiny.

I have them too, in my planted tanks, probably come in with the plants (along with seed shrimp, snails, and dragonfly larva. lol :D) And yes, planaria are super tiny.

any ideas how to control their population? they are disgusting crawling over glasses. looks like tiny white dusts

overfeeding is the biggest problem so I hear. I bet google could give you lots of answers on this one.

I had detritus worms I think. They looked similar to yours. My tetras ate em quick

Blue Gouramis will eat them. Loaches will eat the snails. Be sure to get a small variety of loach as clown loaches get huge!

I don't think dearf gourami can see them, my betta can't even see them, they were like 0.5-1mm. do you think a shrimp will eat them ?

Nope shrimp doesnt. My Red Cherry just walk right through them.

Continue your Awsome work!! ?

I think I've gotten the same in my tank: Detritus Worms. I posted a thread asking about it a little while ago:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/white-very-small-bugs-on-tank-sides-303973.html

A large water change, focusing on realllyyyy digging into that substrate, and limiting feeding seemed to do the trick. I notice them every once in awhile now, but they never seem to mature. I think I'm winning the fight :) I've seen their population EXPLODE in the fall, and I think it's because my fish are less hungry as the season turns cooler, leaving more food to rot. Gonna pay more attention this fall and see if I can keep them under control!

Back
Top Bottom