Worried about purple tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lshann14

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi y'all I have a question about a 5" purple tang which I'm picking up from my LFS next Saturday for $200.

First off is this a good price?

Second I have a small 2.5" Blue hippo tang that I'm worried will get bullied.

Any help needed thanks ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399173979.247456.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399174086.663475.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399174118.388521.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399174146.593225.jpg

If I remember you are using tap water, I would not spend $200 on a tang, spend the money on an rodi unit instead. The main most important part of your reef.

I'm not sure about the price but all the ones I've seen online are around that or more so I would assume the price is good. I have heard that they can be extremely aggressive so I would definitely watch it for a few weeks.

If I remember you are using tap water, I would not spend $200 on a tang, spend the money on an rodi unit instead. The main most important part of your reef.

Nitrates are gone and I use RO/DI unit.

Ok, sorry, so many post to keep tract of, Im not sure if I personally spend $200 on a large fish, especially Tangs as they are so prone to ick and other issues. Blue hippos are pretty timid to start with, not sure If I would take a $200 chance to lose one or both of them.

I don't think ICH will be a problem, I have a 6" Blonde Naso also and he's been good for a couple weeks so far.
I also have a UV sterilizer and cleaner shrimp.

Cleaner shrimp and UV sterilizers really do nothing for ick. In order to have any effect on ick, you need a 50+ watt uv sterilizer. And then it only effects the ich that passes thru the water column. when ich multiply it sinks to the bottom of the tank, not suspended in the water column. Off the shelf 15-30 watt uv sterilizers do nothing but use electricity. Not strong enough and not in contact long enough with uv spectrum to do anything.

$200 seems a little steep, but it depends on your area. I can drive 90 minutes from my house and get fish half of what I pay locally.

As for the potential aggression...you can't predict that. Ideally they would be introduced at the same time, but a lot of this hobby does not work ideally. If I were guessing, there will be the usual new introduction aggression, but if everyone makes it past that, you will have a beautiful fish.

Ok thanks.
My LFS sells him for $250 but he's been in their tank since last November.
So I bargained them down to $200
I can't find him cheaper anywhere else though

The ability for the tangs to coexist and live long lives has a mostly to do with their levels of stress. Tangs are a bit like race horses, high strung. That stress is relieved by good feeding, proper swimming room and plenty of sleep/hiding holes. No amount of UV or cleaner shrimp can replace these primary things. The enhanced stress level when adding new tangs can easily trigger a outbreak in the new or old tangs, so I would QT first and be cautious. IME

I wouldn't put a 6" tang in a 300. Grow it to 6", yes, but buy it at 6", nope. A 180 is not a big tank. Not for open water swimmers. A UV sterilizer is not going to lower stress levels. I would go with a 2.5"-3" fish and let it grow.

I've had good results keeping Ich a bay with Garlic Extreme. I only use when I see a fish flash or see spots.

When I add a new fish I do it after lights out to a well fed tank. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom