Worried about purple tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You have the two most experienced reefers here giving you advice. Id really suggest you take it. I have never seen gregcoyote or Mr. X steer anyone wrong here.

I think the issue is you want to add a third? tang to your 180. The Naso tang gets very big as does the hippo. BY adding a third that can get 8" or so you are asking for trouble. I know you will do what you want, but at the end of the day, you wouldn't get three Great Dane's in a studio apartment, would you?

If you had smaller tangs I'd say it would be ok but like breakthe cycle says you have two tangs that will be over one foot long when grown. I personally wouldn't risk a $200 fish in a system with two established tangs. Like mr. X said while it is a big tank in our eyes, it is a short race track for these fish with only so many places they can escape aggression.

Just a suggestion(probably wont work) but maybe a harlequin tusk?

I would put 3 tangs in a 180, but as I said, I would want them small to start with, and even then I would do this knowing in the back of my mind that some day I will have to find homes for them. This isn't like fresh water where you can have 3 or 4 adult oscars in a 180 with no problem. These fish will feel the confinement eventually. If you want a purple tang, wait for a smaller one IMO.
Also, powder blues tend to be quite aggressive. Just a FYI.

I would put 3 tangs in a 180, but as I said, I would want them small to start with, and even then I would do this knowing in the back of my mind that some day I will have to find homes for them. This isn't like fresh water where you can have 3 or 4 adult oscars in a 180 with no problem. These fish will feel the confinement eventually. If you want a purple tang, wait for a smaller one IMO.
Also, powder blues tend to be quite aggressive. Just a FYI.

+1 it's no fun giving this advice because everyone loves tangs. They can be kept very happy and fat, with never a sign of ICH, for years and years. No sterilizers. It's the difference in housing a fish or letting it prosper. But I've been tang police long enough. I can only leave the advice that if you really want to have a good home for these fish, just get a long tank with lots of racing around and hiding room. It makes a huge difference.

+1 it's no fun giving this advice because everyone loves tangs. They can be kept very happy and fat, with never a sign of ICH, for years and years. No sterilizers. It's the difference in housing a fish or letting it prosper. But I've been tang police long enough. I can only leave the advice that if you really want to have a good home for these fish, just get a long tank with lots of racing around and hiding room. It makes a huge difference.

Just one addition. I knew 22 years ago I wanted tangs after a long struggle with them. I only had enough room and $$ to build about 300 gallons initially. As the tank was fairly deep, I ended up with not as much lateral area as I wanted for tangs. So I bent it around a corner. That way, a fish can't really see the other end of the tank. It also means the fish can stay out of direct eyeshot from another fish for much of the time. I turns out to have been useful as the tangs are always calm, lazy and fat. Fish whispering? Think like a fish.

Last edited:
On my system i'm running a SCWD wave maker on the pump output.

"SCWD—Squid—Wavemakers
The SCWD (pronounced "squid") Wavemaker is a revolutionary device designed to provide alternating currents without the use of electricty. The SCWD mounts inline with 3/4" tubing, the two ports alternate the output, the bottom port is the input. A great alternative to expensive electronic ball valves. The SCWD will run on any pump with a minimum output of 50 GPH and a maximum output of 1400. The switching speed and current duration is dependent on the volume of water flowing through the SCWD. You can control the duration by controlling the flow going through the SCWD. Can be submersed for use with large power heads or used externally. Provides alternating current between two ports. connects to any pump up to 1400 GPH" it comes in 2 sizes 3/4" and 1".

My Tangs and Rabbitfish all take turns swimming against the current.

I have a 4" hippo and added a 2" purple tang to my 160. There was some initial dominance by the hippo but after a day or so they were calm. It's been 6 months and all is well. I figure I have about another year or so and the hippo will get donated to a local aquarium.

Sounds like an extremely elaborate description of a powerhead to me.

I have two wave-makers in my tank just FYI.

do you have any full shots of your tank i would love to see it

Back
Top Bottom