Would you every buy coral from a shop if you saw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
that there tanks where infested with Aptisa??

I used to love this shop but had not been back in 3 months.

They still had some great looking coral but there tanks where infested with Aptisa

and when I saw infested I am talking 100's per tank.

It was everywhere.

Reason I ask is I did not but they did not seem to care it was there which confused me?

Yes I do buy from shops that gets a lot of coral and rocks with aptasia I QT and if I find an aptasia shoot them full of lemon juice. There are all sorts of things that come in on the coral and live rock including flatworms, nudibranch and zoa pox. I have yet to see any of the several stores in my area to be completely free of pests and unwanted algaes when it comes to rocks and frags. I would lots rather keep chemicals out of my display tank so I QT treat things before they get in there.

They don't care for 2 reasons IMO.

1) it's out of control and they cannot handle it, and
2) folks will continue to buy it and deal with it.

i have seen stuff with Aptisa on it.

But I am talking out break guys!!!!

Would you seriously still buy it?

Not one or two pieces of the stuff I am talking some corals had 5+ pieces on it.

The egg crates where covered in it.

it was in the sand was everywhere

I don't have a QT tank so I would have to put it in my main tank

I was just blown away. I felt bad for them but I ran for the hills

You might be surprised if you went back they might have it under control. A place near me was the same way a few months ago now there is hardly an aptasia in the store. They get shippments in and have to take what ever comes in and hope that it is good quality.

I see you have a pico betta tank you could probably find room for a pico frag QT tank heater, light and filter.

Fish stores are going through the same problems we are. I have two friends that own fish stores and they have problems like we do. Just amplify by how ever many tanks. So like joy13 said, you might go back and find they have cleaned up. Now if the tanks were dirty and the fish unhealthy then I would not buy from them. But I would give them another chance. You could also ask what the deal is with their aiptsia.

There's a big al's near my place that has, in their coral tank, a piece of live rock that may have had some coral on it but it's now covered with about twenty very large and health majanos. I wonder if they'll dare put a price on it one day. The next coral tank has some of the largest aiptasia that I have ever seen.

It would take some work to deal with the majano, but throw in a couple berghia nudibranches and then wouldn't have any aiptaisa to deal with.

If the coral was unaffected, from what I could tell, then yes I would buy even if infested with aiptasia. That is what a qt tank is for.

Back
Top Bottom