WTB CO2 Regulator - need some advice plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarf

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I've been scanning through a few co2 pages and just wanted to ask some quick questions. I'm thinking of buying a regulator while I'm overseas cause they appear to a lot cheaper than in Australia, and I'm in a "shopping mood", lol. Cyclinder I can't because apparently co2 suppliers require strict standards in Oz.

My planted tank atm is only a 20g. However, I'm thinking of getting a 50+ later on, and considering transferring some components to the new tank.

I'm thinking about setting up a pressuried system because if I choose to upgrade, I don't think DIY yeast etc will be up to scratch.

1. About the regulator, is it one size fits all? If I buy one, will it be ok whether I choose a 5lb gas cylinder or a 20lb?

2. Also, are Milwaukee and JBJ the 2 leading systems out there? Is one more regarded than another, or is it just personal preference?

3. Is the solenoid pretty much there as an "on" switch for the system? So if I put a timer to it, it will shut down the system when it is off?

4. Does any1 use a pH regulator to the solenoid? I don't know whether the sales clerk was looking out for my best interest or just his commission.

TIA

1. About the regulator, is it one size fits all? If I buy one, will it be ok whether I choose a 5lb gas cylinder or a 20lb?
Just check on the connections used in Oz, you may need an adapter to hook a US connector to an Oz tank. You can use the reg on a tank from .1lb to 1000lb, the pressure is still the same, liquid Co2 boils below 850PSI at room temp (tank pressure at most will be 900PSI, I still can't figure out why people use a guage on a Co2 tank, it's gonna read full until there is no liquid left, you'ld be better weighing it empty and using a scale to determine how full it is.)

2. Also, are Milwaukee and JBJ the 2 leading systems out there? Is one more regarded than another, or is it just personal preference?
Milwaukee tends to be cheaper, but in reality it is personal pref.

3. Is the solenoid pretty much there as an "on" switch for the system? So if I put a timer to it, it will shut down the system when it is off?
correct, it is an Electronic On/Off for the system's output

4. Does any1 use a pH regulator to the solenoid? I don't know whether the sales clerk was looking out for my best interest or just his commission.
PH Controllers replace the use of a timer, and keep the output very stable (PH stays where you put it, it will even dose during the night if the ph needs it).

HTH

I'll chime in too.

Didn't research it, but I too would find out what kind of valve fitting is used in Austrailia. I know its a different one in Europe than what we use in teh USA.

I like Milwaukee over JBJ as I've heard about more JBJ warranty returns than Milwaukee. JBJ does have a built in check valve, but also has a fixed output which I don't like.

A solenoid is an electromagnetic valve. A pH controller is the ultimate way to use the solenoid as you can limit to a specific pH range (and therefore, CO2 range). A lamp timer also works, or you can run it 24/7 like i do.

Thanks.

Well, say if I bought one now, and it didn't fit, couldn't I just look around to find an adaptor to fit the valve fitting used in Australia? (worst scenario)

Just that CO2 regulators etc in Australia go for around $300+ retail, so it is worth a gamble if I can get it for around $100.

Yes, they will more then likely carry adapters. you can research the types of connectors on Milwaukee, or I can just post them.

Code:
SPECIFICATIONS:
 SPECIFICATION 	 MA957
  GAUGES 	  High Side 0-3500psi (0-250kg/cm2)
  Low Side 0-140psi (0-10kg/cm2)
  SOLENOID 	  115VAC, 3-Prong Grounded Plug, 1.5m long
  CONNECTORS 	  CGA 320, 1/8" Compression Barb
  NEEDLE VALVE 	  3 Turn
  BUBBLE COUNTER 	  Clear Plastic, 1/2"D x 2"L
  WEIGHT 	  2-1/2 lbs

So you are looking for a CGA 320 fitted bottle. call around, I did and got a price of 90$ for a 10lb full (used) an 15$/fill after that.

Hmm... apparently they only seem to stock "China" brands here in HK. I haven't really noticed JBL or Milwaukee being stocked.

In your opinion, would you think it would be worth buying it? The prices range from about HKD$500-1000, which equates to around AUD$86-172. In Australia, they around from around $200+, so in effect, it is like DOUBLE the price.

However, my concern is also about valve sizes, but you have mentioned that I can just find an adaptor.

I guess quality is also another issue. This is where I'm interested to know what your opinions were.

Back
Top Bottom