Yellow brown coloured water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thetrueblueram

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey I recently replaced the substrate in my 16 gallon planted aquarium, I put a layer of peat and some other special plant growth fertile substrate. This is all covered by a nice thick layer of black onyx sand. Since I did all this the water has been stained yellow-brown and doesn't look so hot, well for my taste that is. I do a 50% weekly water change.

Is the staining going to be permanent, will it go away over time? Is there anything I can do about it?

Attachments

• 1403276804392.jpg
    1403276804392.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 1403276849173.jpg
    1403276849173.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 1403276852606.jpg
    1403276852606.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 93
It looks like tannins from the substrate u added. I had them also I added polishing pads to my filter and kept up on water chages. It'll go away. Looks good though

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Drift wood can be soaked in a hot or boiling water tub and left for a day or two and then change the water out, and repeat until the water goes clear. I would guess the brown water in your tank TrueBlue is coming from the peat. Not sure how to deal with that... A hot soak would also leech out anything beneficial to the plants so I guess, hope it will go away soon with water changes.

Thanks for all the advice guys, hey bhardtke, where could I find some of those polishing pads?

I have a fluval 304 and they make polishin pads that fit the baskets. but they make a generic that u cut to fit its Acurel Poly Fiber Media Pad 10 in. x 18 in.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Using a good grade of carbon in your filter for several days will help remove the color from the water. My guess is the peat is leaching into the water column. I used peat in my Cardinal breeding tank, to help reduce the PH, and soften the water. It turned yellow/brown also. It cleared when the peat was exhausted.

Peat is used by many to purposely colour the water for more natural habitats for certain fish.

I believe this will be pretty permanent

My water is also that color but I assume is from the drift wood since I only soaked it for a few hours. I have the cut to fit stuff I'm currently not using in the filter. Ill have to add it!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403477884.105032.jpg

Thanks for posting this thread!
As I mentioned same issue!

It seems to be a common problem in the hobby, I'm just glad this thread is helping people other than myself :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom