Yellow Labs (Breeding)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
At what size do they start to breed?
I have 6 at the moment and well have never kept malwai's before or even mouth brooders for that matter. I dont know what behavior/activity to look out for. The only thing I have noticed is that the biggest one out of the 6 had a little mouth fight thing with another yellow lab and his black on his top fin is much bigger and stronger coloured than all the rest. But I dont know what females look like when they are holding or anything. Pics would be great 8)

Yellow labs start breeding when they are 2 inches or bigger. Males will have more black on it's anal fin and will get bigger than the females. The male will swim in front of the female and shake like crazy, it is really fun to watch. He will keep doing this until she is ready to breed and then all of a sudden you will notice that you have a female with a bulge under her mouth. I highly reccomend having a holding tank to move her to so that she can care for her babies stress free. Once they start breeding they are like rabbits..lol. I have 1 male and 2 females and both of the females were just holding, one has since released. If you do a search on google you will find lots of articles with pictures of males and females..

Good luck and enjoy these fish they are the best!!

Cichlidlovers gave all great info. I thought I would supply the pics.

Attachments

• lab_caeruleus_not_holding.jpg
    lab_caeruleus_not_holding.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 30
  • lab_caeruleus_holding.jpg
    lab_caeruleus_holding.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom