Yellowing Anubias plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have several Anubias plants in my tank, different species, but I forgot the names of them. Two of the Anubias plants have been showing some of the leaves (the older leaves) starting to yellow up, staring from the tips. additionally, some of the leaves have pin holes in them.

My tank is dirt planted (miracle gro underneath a gravel layer, with red clay for iron source). I just redid this tank (moved everything from a 29 gallon to a 46 gallon.) so i'm not sure of what type of Deficiencies this could be. Could it also possibly be just the plant acclimating to a new environment?

Anubias and cryps are prone to "melting" when moved more than likely it's just the plant acclimating itself to the new tank. These plants are extremely hardy and very hard to kill.

Anubias generally won't melt like that though. That's more of a crypt thing than anything.

What other plants are in the tank? Any fast growers such as hygrophila species?

Yellowing growth is usually a nitrogen issue. Pinholes indicate potassium. Test your nitrate and get back to us on that.

The Fast growers in the tank are some Water Sprite and Anacharis.

I've read that when Anubias gets to large, it starts to choke out the lower leaves, so i split one of my Anubias into three seperate pieces to see if that will solve the issue. One of the pieces is shooting a new leaf, and the yellowing seems to have stagnanted, but not gotten better.

Nitrates are approximatly 5 ppm.

Sounds like a deficiency to me as well.

Try to get some KNO3 (Saltpeter). Very cheap from the pharmacy. Mix 50g with 500ml water and dose 10ml of that for every 100l (26.4 gal). Should raise the nitrate up with 5ppm.

Watersprite is a very fast grower and a very good nitrate spunge.

Back
Top Bottom