Zach's 10 gallon transformation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_1_6

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I have been absent from the forum for quite some time and I'm ready to get back into it.
Long story short I raised my girlfriends fry in a standard 10 gallon and I've decided now that the fry are gone I would like to try a medium to high tech nano shrimp build.

I am moving back to school in less than two weeks and thought it would be a good time to do so, so as is my tank has 15-20 adult blue velvet shrimp with countless shrimplets with a pair of oto's and an abundance of pesky snails. Plants as of now are dwarf sage, naja grass, java fern and java moss sitting in regular gravel with a piece of driftwood. Lights are a diy 2 x 23 watt 6500k cfl fixture with white paint being the only reflector. Ferts are only excel if I remember to dose before I leave or work. Filter is a tetra whisper 10 hob I think... Not sure but it does the job and a simple 50 watt heater. I don't mind this set up but again I want to challenge myself to something a little harder.

I have at my disposal:

-Fluval stratum substrate (should have bought aquasoil but in canada it is quite hard to come by)
-Same filter/lights/heater
-Pressurized co2
-Iwigumi style rocks not sure the exact kind
-same stock

Future plants would be an HC carpet up front with blyxa around back and I'll try this unknown plant I currently have (started a new thread to figure out the ID)

That is basically it for now I'll post some pictures so you all can see the tank before and during the steps to a complete overhaul!! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408488284.072532.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408488310.002154.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408488331.596555.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408488368.138600.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm leaning towards dry ferts but I've never used them, all information is welcomed!

I'm leaning towards dry ferts but I've never used them before, not really sure where to begin with them. All information is welcomed

I feel like I am over thinking things:

I am moving to a city where a lfs tested the water at ph:8.3 kh/gh:14 I think it was. I was planning to mix half and half tap water to RO. I know my shrimp can tolerate a variety of parameters but what about the plants I plan to use? Will injecting co2 with the substrates (limited) buffering cause too much of a ph swing for the shrimp? I want this to be a planted tank WITH shrimp, not a shrimp tank with plants. I understand co2 affects shrimplets and that fine with me. Will the hob filter aid in a large ph swing? I will be keeping the water topped up with RO constantly to reduce out gassing of the co2 as much as possible.

Picked up some dry ferts today both macro and micro for EI dosing. Is my idea of going 50/50 RO/tap water seem like a bad one? 8.3 ph with 14+ kh/gh seem a little high for my liking.

As of now I have a kh of 3 gh of 5 and I haven't tested ph but it's definitely lower then 8. Would oh swings be an issue due to co2 in my case?

As of now I have a kh of 3 gh of 5 and I haven't tested ph but it's definitely lower then 8. Would oh swings be an issue due to co2 in my case?

Thats with the RODI right?

I don't think so but it really depends. I haven't had an issue and my water is as soft as that.

That's with the 50/50 mix and whatever the substrate buffers it down to, I've heard 6.5 ph max buffering with 100% RODI.

Back
Top Bottom