Zebra Danio bothering tankmate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crabitat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 5gal tank with two Blood Tetras, one blue Platy, one albino Cory, and one troublemaking Zebra Danio. For the most part, my fish have been very happy and calm, getting along well and thriving in their little tank. The only problem I'm having is that my Danio isn't leaving my Cory alone! He's not nipping my Cory, he's just kind of lazily following him around, but it definitely seems to be stressing him out. And it's ONLY my Cory. I tried to get non-aggressive fish, and I did succeed. My Danio isn't a bully, he's just obnoxious! :(
I would REALLY like to avoid getting rid of any fish or getting any more (wouldn't more Danio just gang up on the Cory and maybe start fin-nipping??), but I was wondering what to do?
Should I trade my Cory in for another one, and hope he'll be calmer? Or should I just get another bottom feeder (I like to keep at least one in my tank)? Will my Danio be a problem with any fish, and if I get rid of my Cory will he turn on another fish?
Please help!

crabitat said:
I have a 5gal tank with two Blood Tetras, one blue Platy, one albino Cory, and one troublemaking Zebra Danio. For the most part, my fish have been very happy and calm, getting along well and thriving in their little tank. The only problem I'm having is that my Danio isn't leaving my Cory alone! He's not nipping my Cory, he's just kind of lazily following him around, but it definitely seems to be stressing him out. And it's ONLY my Cory. I tried to get non-aggressive fish, and I did succeed. My Danio isn't a bully, he's just obnoxious! :(
I would REALLY like to avoid getting rid of any fish or getting any more (wouldn't more Danio just gang up on the Cory and maybe start fin-nipping??), but I was wondering what to do?
Should I trade my Cory in for another one, and hope he'll be calmer? Or should I just get another bottom feeder (I like to keep at least one in my tank)? Will my Danio be a problem with any fish, and if I get rid of my Cory will he turn on another fish?
Please help!

Personally , I think it might be stocking problem. I reckon your 153% overstocked. Zebra danios are very active for that tank. I'm not moaning because I hate it when people do it to me! Lol. If you don't want to rehome if you could upgrade at least to a ten 15 gallon and get one more cory the problems might fade away. Good luck!

Hello fellow Oregonian! Welcome to AA :)

Unfortunately the tank is very overstocked, and the fish you've stocked cannot thrive in such a small tank.

Danios - minimum tank size 20L/29 gals - they need a long tank and should be in schools of 6 or more

Bloodfin tetras - minimum tank size 20 gals - schoolers need 6 or more

Platy - minimum tank size 10 gals - social fish that need a couple platy friends

Albino cory - minimum tank size 20L/29 gal - shoaler that needs to be in groups of 4 or more

Danios are typically no problem in a community setting, provided they are given a proper school and enough room for their schooling behavior.

I understand you don't want to get rid of fish, I totally get that, but if you can't get something like a 20L or 29 gal right away, I recommend you rehome your fish and stock the tank with something that can thrive in 5 gals. :(

Unfortunately the tank is very overstocked, and the fish you've stocked cannot thrive in such a small tank.

Was definitely expecting to hear that, and I really don't want to question your advice (especially now that I've been told, I can definitely tell that Danio is much too active for that tank), but my Tetras and my Platy seem to be doing very well! So I'm wondering if maybe I just returned my Danio and the Cory, and only had my three fish leftover, would that be suitable?
I hate the "one fish per gallon" rule because it can be very wrong, but they are small, calm fish.

Yeah the "rule" is very inaccurate and definitely not a good way to stock tanks.

Well, my 10 gal min for platy is a generous one. Some feel they need larger tanks. I don't think keeping a couple platties in a 5 gal would be a tragedy, but I really can't recommend it either. I would completely avoid, under all circumstances, keeping any of the other species in there though.

I'm sorry! I hate to be bearer of bad news here :(

Yeah the "rule" is very inaccurate and definitely not a good way to stock tanks.

Well, my 10 gal min for platy is a generous one. Some feel they need larger tanks. I don't think keeping a couple platties in a 5 gal would be a tragedy, but I really can't recommend it either. I would completely avoid, under all circumstances, keeping any of the other species in there though.

I'm sorry! I hate to be bearer of bad news here :(

Well, I'm figuring I'll return the Danio and the Cory until I can obtain a larger tank, but the Platy isn't returnable, so I think I'll keep him and the Tetras around and see how that goes. After all, 5gals aren't a torture tank.
Thanks! :)

Bettas and "nano" fish are what is typically considered good for 5 gals. I'll list some of the nanos.

Chili rasboras and other microrasboras, celestial pearl danios, danio erythromicron/emerald rasbora, sparkling gourami, scarlet badis, Endlers livebearers, least killies, ember tetras, clown killifish, and normans lampeye killifish.

Well, I'm figuring I'll return the Danio and the Cory until I can obtain a larger tank, but the Platy isn't returnable, so I think I'll keep him and the Tetras around and see how that goes. After all, 5gals aren't a torture tank.
Thanks! :)
Ok, it's totally up to you.

Back
Top Bottom