Zebra Danio changing sex or dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbless

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
My zebra Danio (had for >7 months) has recently lost everything from behind the ventral fins to her tail (no anal fin any longer) and appears like her ovarian area was torn out. The ventral fins/other fins are Ok and she swims around fine and eats... but there is a cavity where she used to swell with eggs and her anal fin is gone. She now is looking more "male" like but I presume it is some illness I just can't appropriately identify.
I have had recent trouble with this tank and mysterious deaths which I could never quite figure out why. Though those deaths were intermittent sudden deaths of tiger, moss and albino barbs and some danios. This occurred ~1-2months ago and was almost 1-2 fish per week. They would be fine one day, may be slightly slow the next day (not consistent) and then dead. I could not note any parasite, or significant illness on those fish. My ghost shrimp were unaffected. I continued my weekly water changes and things stabilized. I then purchased 3 new Danios for the lone surviving Danio after a month. My water parameters haven't changed

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Prior to water change my pH was 7.4-7.5 and relatively stable
Ammonium is basically 0 (just a shade off)
Nitrate 0 (tinge off)
Nitrite 0
Temp 26

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
45G tank for ~1y
planted tank with aquarium gravel substrate and wood piece

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Fluval 205 at max rate

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
Currently 1 Koi Angel fish ~1.5", 3 Tiger barbs largest 1", 1 Albino TB 1", 4 Rasboras (Lambchop), 1 pleco, 1 chinese algae eater, 3 blue danios (recent purchase ~3 weeks ago). Snails in tank which likely came with plants, predominantly in gravel (small) and 4 ghost shrimp (now ~2+months old)

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Week to week and a half gravel vacuum for ~1-2 5 gallon buckets
last done on Thursday last week
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
This Danio is almost as old as the tank

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
No new additions to tank, though the dechlorinator is new it is the same brand

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Feed tropical flakes with freeze dried brine shrimp or daphnia once per week

Isolated fish but not sure what is going on or what to do...

they may be stressed, zebras like to be in bigger groups. (6 or more) As for the sex change, I kinda wonder whether mine have lost their egg-dropping ability; when I first got mine they would drop eggs almost continuously, but now have not for the last months or so (the adult fish are at least 1.5 years old).

This informative page seems to indicate that they will enter breeding mode more readily at higher temps. I think 27 C should work though.

Zebrafish FAQs

Back
Top Bottom