Zebra Danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
I purchased 4 Zebra Danios 3 days ago at my LFS which seems to have good fish. Their water had 0 nitrites 0 ammonia and mild nitrates, well its now 3 days later and they are doing great their color is vibrant black stripes down their brownish bodies. Well today i went back to get 4 more they only had 2 so i got them. When i got home i acclimated them and dripped my water into theirs slowly over 3 hours well long story short these 2 are pale compared to my other 4 which came from the same store and same tank not 3 days ago. I was wondering if maybe my others were pale and i didn't notice cause i ahd no other fish to compare them to, so are my 2 that i got sick, or will their color come after a few days of being in my tank?

I have glofish danio and they can go pale and then back to normal.

Whenever, I have moved an "emerald cory", it loses a lot of color regardless of how long I drip acclimate. Then, it times out and doesn't want to move or play for 1-2 days.

I didn't notice the same with the danio. They are way more resilient. But, I do have a bright red pink glo danio that occassionally gets lighter and then back to normal.

I think part of the initial color change can be nothing more than a change in the lighting spectrum... Tank A, ambient, tank B.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

I have some zebras in my tank too. Some have very vibrant strips, some are more pale. I have one in particular that goes extremely pale during feeding time as he whips around like a maniac trying to eat everything he can. Could be stress, could just be how that particular fish is. It could also be female vs. male coloration. I say don't worry and just enjoy them. They are crazy active and super hardy. I swear, they could live through any problem imaginable.

Your Danios

I purchased 4 Zebra Danios 3 days ago at my LFS which seems to have good fish. Their water had 0 nitrites 0 ammonia and mild nitrates, well its now 3 days later and they are doing great their color is vibrant black stripes down their brownish bodies. Well today i went back to get 4 more they only had 2 so i got them. When i got home i acclimated them and dripped my water into theirs slowly over 3 hours well long story short these 2 are pale compared to my other 4 which came from the same store and same tank not 3 days ago. I was wondering if maybe my others were pale and i didn't notice cause i ahd no other fish to compare them to, so are my 2 that i got sick, or will their color come after a few days of being in my tank?

Hello t57...

Don't worry about the fish. Just keep their tank water clean. Danios are a very hardy shoaling species and will tolerate most water properties as long as their water is changed regularly.

I keep Rosey Danios and change out half the water in the tank weekly. This guarantees stable water conditions and healthy fish.

Danios are most comfortable in well planted tanks. They especially like a lot of floating plants. I heavily plant the surface with Hornwort and Pond weed (Anacharis).

B

Back
Top Bottom