zebra pleco breeding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MatthewM

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I'm wanting to start breeding zera plecos is there anyone here that can give me advice about the setup needed or what the best methods will be?

I don't know too much about plecos but make a couple caves for them! My advice!

Aren't they really expensive ?!?! Where I am they cost over £300!!!! Anyways I would make lots of caves and put in plants .

Found something on breeding by another guy. As far as breeding goes you want a 29g tank that has no substrate and you want LOTS of hiding caves and spaces, few plants, water with a temperature between 78-84, pH between 6.6-7.2, and a moderate hardness. You should have a powerhead or two in the tank simulating the flow of the rivers in which they are natively found. The flow should be about 8-10 times the volume of the tank per hour. Point the caves so that they are slightly facing the current because the males will use those caves to help raise the fry since the current will oxygenate and clean the eggs. Also, NO TANKMATES! Just the plecos. You will be able to keep a colony of 5-6 in a 29g tank but you need to have lots of hiding spaces and territories. Driftwood should also be added to the tank IMO. Lighting shouldn't matter as long as you try to recreate the photoperiod of the day for them. I'd use the stock lighting that comes with the 29g tank for example 6-8 hours per day. Hope it helped

If you breed successfully please let me know! I have been looking for them at a slightly more reasonable price...

I would buy one but I live in England and I would love to find them for really cheap like £20! But I know that will never happen .lol!

Add me to the list if you get them to breed. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Thank you all for the info and encouragement! I'm very interested in trying so if I get some good fry raised out you guys will be first on my list of thank you fish!

I'll wait patiently. Oh who am I kidding, hurry up. I love zebra plecos. They are the coolest looking plecos. Lol. Seriously, I really hope it works out for you. That would be awesome.

Samzter said:
I helped you breed them! Lol so really I should get one as well!! Lol :D

...darn. You do get dibs haha. I wanna try to breed them also, but have never encountered them.

Predfan27 said:
...darn. You do get dibs haha. I wanna try to breed them also, but have never encountered them.

I can get them but the problem is the cheapest i've found is 450$ per 1 to 2 inch fish so this won't be a cheap endeavor!

I'm thinking of buying bristlenose plecos and breeding them first just to get the experience in breeding plecos before spending the big money!

Back
Top Bottom