Ziggy's 40b Planted Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ziggy. Could you just give a quick list of the equipment you use to control co2 so I can go research? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a Milwaukee MA957 Regulator with a 3 way split on it. I could run 3 tanks off the same regulator all three have needle valves and bubble counters. The regulator has a solenoid that is controlled by my computer (RKE) it is set to come on 2 hours before lights on and goes off 2 hours before lights out. My pH prob monitors the change of pH in the tank. It is linked to the timer setting of the solenoid and if the pH drops below 6.05 the computer tells the solenoid to shut off the CO2, when the pH stabilizes above 6.20 the computer tells the solenoid to turn the CO2 back on, provided this is before the normal 2hour before lights out setting.

I am injecting the CO2 via a custom built CO2 reactor (how I made it is in this thread a few pages back) this mixes the CO2 with the water and allows for better dissolution of CO2 in the water column. I like this as I do not have the standard diffuser in the tank causing the tank to look like a bottle of sprite.

Anything else you want to know please ask. I am happy to share any information!!

One thing I'd like to add is that when dealing with pressurised co2,lighting timers & or dosing units it's wise like Ziggy said to do daily checks to make sure things are aligned properly...a set it & forget it approach is like playing with fire...

sit in silence...

I have a Milwaukee MA957 Regulator with a 3 way split on it. I could run 3 tanks off the same regulator all three have needle valves and bubble counters. The regulator has a solenoid that is controlled by my computer (RKE) it is set to come on 2 hours before lights on and goes off 2 hours before lights out. My pH prob monitors the change of pH in the tank. It is linked to the timer setting of the solenoid and if the pH drops below 6.05 the computer tells the solenoid to shut off the CO2, when the pH stabilizes above 6.20 the computer tells the solenoid to turn the CO2 back on, provided this is before the normal 2hour before lights out setting.

I am injecting the CO2 via a custom built CO2 reactor (how I made it is in this thread a few pages back) this mixes the CO2 with the water and allows for better dissolution of CO2 in the water column. I like this as I do not have the standard diffuser in the tank causing the tank to look like a bottle of sprite.

Anything else you want to know please ask. I am happy to share any information!!

Thanks this is great. I'm toying with a cheaper starter setup on co2art UK but I know that I will buy it wish I'd have spent more money. I'm just trying to be realistic about what I need before I buy anything. The controllers and shut off valves are something that I'm interested in.

One thing I'd like to add is that when dealing with pressurised co2,lighting timers & or dosing units it's wise like Ziggy said to do daily checks to make sure things are aligned properly...a set it & forget it approach is like playing with fire...

sit in silence...

Yeah to have tanks like this setting and forgetting isn't an option I can imagine.

Thanks this is great. I'm toying with a cheaper starter setup on co2art UK but I know that I will buy it wish I'd have spent more money. I'm just trying to be realistic about what I need before I buy anything. The controllers and shut off valves are something that I'm interested in.

The controller I'm using is from my Reef System. It was designed to run a SW tank. It works well but is not a cheap toy to add to the tank. I spent around $750 total for all the components and the RKE head unit.

Any CO2 regulator with a solenoid will work fine and you can just use a timer to turn it on and off with your lights.

Do you periodically shake the mixed dosing bottles? I've always a had to shake them there is always some particulates on the bottom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you periodically shake the mixed dosing bottles? I've always a had to shake them there is always some particulates on the bottom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It seems there is always particulates in the micro bottle. As a force of habit I shake before dosing.

Who's mocking their tank up after mine??? I missed that! Imitation is the highest form of flattery!

Idk. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the perpetrators if I should stumble upon them whoever/whomever they are.

So when are you coming to Chicago to teach me your secrets?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Summer time when it isn't so cold! I don't like this bone chilling cold...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha! I suppose that makes sense to some degree....though I don't know about you but I don't work on my fish tanks outside....:blink:

Back
Top Bottom