Ziggy's Corner Planter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You receive a gold star for being so smart and knowing your plants. I'm going to get more of the grass and put some around the other side of the rocks. I love the way it looks. I'm really liking the way this tank is turning out.

Need to find me some of that grass for my tank... I have a few spots Id love to put it.

Well Max...I could pick you some up at my LFS and you could pay me for it if you can't find it anywhere near you. Let me know they have TONS of the stuff and I LOVE what it looks like. I'm planning on getting some more in a couple days to add to the other side of the rocks next to the Lace Leaf that I didn't take a pic of.

Also... looks like jason could get into plants for a living. Just don't be smoking the grass ;)

Question for you Ziggy, it looks like your CO2 coming out of your diffuser is large bubbles? Is it just the way it looked in the pictures? You are going to want fine bubbles out of the diffuser, if not they are just going to float straight up and be a waste.

Otherwise, looking good! Can't wait to watch things progress with the LED lighting.

Question for you Ziggy, it looks like your CO2 coming out of your diffuser is large bubbles? Is it just the way it looked in the pictures? You are going to want fine bubbles out of the diffuser, if not they are just going to float straight up and be a waste.

Otherwise, looking good! Can't wait to watch things progress with the LED lighting.

There is a minor leak on the side of the gasket on the diffuser, you can't tell in the pics but there is a steady stream of super fine bubbles coming out of the center.

So far the plants seem to be responding to the LED lighting really well. The color of some of the plants has intensified since I got them so I'm very pleased.

Nice one mate

I made a co2 system for my 10 gallon that worked so well I think I overdosed it and killed one of my fish I put in to see if he would be okay.

How many bubbles per minute should there be or how do I know when I have two much Co2 or should I buy the test kit?

Nice one mate

I made a co2 system for my 10 gallon that worked so well I think I overdosed it and killed one of my fish I put in to see if he would be okay.

How many bubbles per minute should there be or how do I know when I have two much Co2 or should I buy the test kit?

I can't answer either of those questions. I am too new to the FW planted stuff to know what I really need. I'm going based on what my plants are doing and how my fish react. Right now I am not overdosing as the fish are doing just fine and I have not noticed any of them racing to the surface to get air. Those questions I would like to have answers to as well but I believe we will have to get them from Neilan or one of the other Planted gurus!

Nice one mate

You can buy a kh and ph test kit and find out (roughly) how many ppm of CO2 you have. Other than that you could buy a drop checker with 4dkh solution.

The chart for kh/ph to CO2 can be found online, here is one:
CO2 Chart

That is a lot of information.

Ok so here is something I don't know much about and would love some input from you awesome planted folks.

I read in another thread about flourite and why it is a good substrate. I'm glad I got it when I started this system. What I'm looking into now is what I should bee feeding these plants in the way of ferts. I know there are a lot of different options out there but those of you that know me know I love to do DIY stuff so keep that in mind when offering options.

I appreciate all the help that you all have offered so far in the journey. I've grown to really love my planted tank but I want it to thrive like my SW systems did. So fire away and let me know what I need and where to get started with fertilizing this tank.

I would start googling EI dosing. That is what I use and I find it the easiest method. I tried PMDD (mixing ferts with water so you can dose X ml of the solution) and I grew tired of mixing ferts. With EI dosing you simply add the dry ferts directly to the tank. I usually dump my ferts in the outflow of my filter so it gets spread around the tank better.

Ferts you'll want:

Plantex CSM+B (micro nutrients)
KNO3 - potassium nitrate
KH2PO4 - Mono potassium phosphate
and possibly Barrs GH booster if your GH is low.

I got a 1lb of each from aquariumfertilizer.com for about $36 shipped. I have been dosing for over 8 months (10g and 30g long) and have barely put a dent in my bags.

I would start googling EI dosing. That is what I use and I find it the easiest method. I tried PMDD (mixing ferts with water so you can dose X ml of the solution) and I grew tired of mixing ferts. With EI dosing you simply add the dry ferts directly to the tank. I usually dump my ferts in the outflow of my filter so it gets spread around the tank better.

Ferts you'll want:

Plantex CSM+B (micro nutrients)
KNO3 - potassium nitrate
KH2PO4 - Mono potassium phosphate
and possibly Barrs GH booster if your GH is low.

I got a 1lb of each from aquariumfertilizer.com for about $36 shipped. I have been dosing for over 8 months (10g and 30g long) and have barely put a dent in my bags.

Awesome information! Thanks for taking the time!!! I'll get to my researching. I want my tank to go nuts with growth and color. I might even have a fish or two in there as well (aside from the current neons).

WOW! That was some thread to read start to finish...slow day at work...lol.
Nice job! That driftwood is amazing! I've been begging for a nano reef for Christmas and now you are making me miss my planted tanks!

Good luck with everything, you have some really good advice and help at your disposal there. :)

Keep posting pics! Love seeing them!

WOW! That was some thread to read start to finish...slow day at work...lol.
Nice job! That driftwood is amazing! I've been begging for a nano reef for Christmas and now you are making me miss my planted tanks!

Good luck with everything, you have some really good advice and help at your disposal there. :)

Keep posting pics! Love seeing them!

Thanks for taking the time to read through the thread! It's hard to replace a reef system but I'm enjoying this planted tank a lot more than I thought I would. It's a new challenge and I like that!

so I thought I would post some pics just for the heck of it and because I like taking pics of my tank. Camera still sucks but that's the way it goes.

003a0.jpg

002wv.jpg

001zz.jpg

018uc.jpg

017jxy.jpg

016l.jpg

015l0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom