Zoa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swicicki

Aquarium Advice Activist
I like the ones who grow and multiply in my tank and am no longer friends with the ones who close up and shrivel

I disagree zoas are easy. I have about 13 varieties and they all grow and spread like wildfire. Something must be off or bothering them. Check for nudibranchs and or irritating algae or sponges under them. Acans are nice too but a bit more care. I have those as well and they can be trickier to find the right spot

I disagree zoas are easy. I have about 13 varieties and they all grow and spread like wildfire. Something must be off or bothering them. Check for nudibranchs and or irritating algae or sponges under them. Acans are nice too but a bit more care. I have those as well and they can be trickier to find the right spot
It looks like we need to exchange tips on growing these 2 types of corals cause we have opposite experience. My acans are thriving while zoas are closing.

Haha my acans do well most of the time too. I just have one that never seems to want to be happy :/. For the first 6 months I had it it grew close to 15 new heads lol. Just now it goes through phases of being closed and being open. But yeah zoas do great

I've always had way more success with acans than z's. Zoas would always melt away on me for no reason, my 10 seems to be zoa friendly though so I've got my fingers crossed

I have not done acans (yet), but have had various results with my Zoas/Palys. My Flamin' Punk Rockers had two polyps and is up to about 18 since January. My Blue Tubs Zoas went from five to three. My King Midas have maybe added 2-3 from the original dozen or so. My Eagle Eyes went from about 6 down to 3, but are bouncing back lately and are at 6 again. My Grandis Paly went from 2 to 4. Haven't lost anything yet and that is in a skimmerless 35g with no special attention.

I have heard that these 2 corals require desimilar parameters and difficult to balance in the same tank. It makes sense when you can be successfull on one but not the other.

I'll actually disagree with that. My acans do wonderfully and my zoas. I've just had one that has been annoyed lately.

I agree with bribo on the zoas... I keep finding them grown in places they weren't before. I can't seem to get my monti frag to do anything though lol

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with bribo on the zoas... I keep finding them grown in places they weren't before. I can't seem to get my monti frag to do anything though lol

I can grow every monti specie but caps :/. That and mushrooms don't do anything either

What do you suggest for placing a monti? Light, flow, etc... I'd appreciate your input

I honestly have no idea, it was a gift from someone, all he said was monti. It's a frag, flat and whitish, maybe an inch and a half
8a7u7unu.jpg

My bicolor decided to give you a size reference lol

It's hard to tell in that pic but possibly danae?? Which would mean it's encrusting type so med-hi flow and med-high light

Might be the flow then, I turned the light down to try and get a better shot. I'll move it into higher flow, there is a sinularia that had grown into the flow path in front of it. Thanks for the advice

Yeah I've noticed my montis do fine in lower light as long as they get plenty of flow

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom