Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My only recommendations:

Vary food sources.
Make sure there is enough lateral swimming room.
Make sure there are several holes (slots) in the rock for hiding and sleeping. PB are like Hippo tangs in the way they sleep and hide.

As you've heard me rant for years, it's all about lowering stress with surgeonfish. Mine are turning 15 years old soon. Lost my 10 year old sailfin tang from a swim bladder problem. Sad. But I rarely add any fish because of the fear of destabilizing the community.

The power blue seems to like pellets which I've never fed to the other fish before , that with the mysis and varying choices of nori hopefully will keep them at bay .
One thing about my tank is that there's a million rock caves and crevices to hide in ,....in the front there's about six feet or so of free swimming room ,...so with fingers crossed we'll see soon enough if it'll all work as planned

I'm sure you will find something to compliment those dragon eyes. Even if it starts out as a frag. There are sooooo many beautiful colors out there to choose from.

I'm sure you will find something to compliment those dragon eyes. Even if it starts out as a frag. There are sooooo many beautiful colors out there to choose from.

My giant orange colony I believe started as a single polyp or two ,...don't worry barb, ol'dary will find something to rival Paul's lol :-/

My giant orange colony I believe started as a single polyp or two ,...don't worry barb, ol'dary will find something to rival Paul's lol :-/

That's what I'm talking about! Just be at the LFS when their order arrives so you have first dibs. ?

Bad update here !!! I've had my power blue tang in the qt tank for the last 11 days and he's been doing beautifully until this morning when getting ready for work i found him wedged between the filter's intake tube and the glass ,...that was really a strange incident because he's usually up swimming around at that time ,.... what happened between yesterday and this am I have no idea but he was dead when I arrived home from work today !!! So Sad !!! , I'm soooo disappointed because I tried so hard to do everything by the book !
Ammonia levels etc didn't seem to be involved as far as I could determine but whatever transpired happened overnite.
Maybe that's why you have a QT tank to begin with but maybe sometimes they do more harm than good (?) and overly stress out the animal into a cramped odd little environment , I really don't know,... in hindsight , I wish I would have put him into the main tank days ago .
There's no visible signs of any trauma to him ,...I'm just really really mad at myself for not following my instincts !
Not sure what to do at this point , just mad at losing something so special and beautiful .

Last edited by a moderator:
Dary, so sorry to hear. That's the thing, it always seems to be a guess at the end of the day. I know for my systems I have never QT'd. I do soak food in garlic extract when I introduce a new fish, concentrate on good husbandry and hope for the best. And of course water quality. I've been pretty successful (lucky?). Not telling you anything you don't know though. [emoji16]

Dary, so sorry to hear. That's the thing, it always seems to be a guess at the end of the day. I know for my systems I have never QT'd. I do soak food in garlic extract when I introduce a new fish, concentrate on good husbandry and hope for the best. And of course water quality. I've been pretty successful (lucky?). Not telling you anything you don't know though. [emoji16]

Thanks Sean ,...just sooo mad at myself for not following my instincts ,... I hate losing such a beautiful creature needlessly ,... super frustrating !! ,..just feels like I failed ! ( which I did one way or another )

Last edited by a moderator:
Dary, we've all failed at one time or another in this hobby. You tried to do what was right for the PBT. That's all anyone can ask. I know you want what's best for these critters. Heart of gold!

Sorry to hear Dary. I know the feeling all to well. Loosing a precious fish really stinks.

Thanks guys, on the bright side ,I did manage to get my new mag 12 all plumbed up with new ck valve,quick disconnect ball valve etc,...the tricky part for me was trying to get the right size hose and barb fitting that would match up to my cooler without having to make a mad dash up to Home Depot to try and match things up on the fly.
Everything went together smoothly,it looks a lot cleaner and there wasn't a drop of water that leaked out ! So at this point ,pretty much new pumps on the critical sections of the tank, I breathe a little easier now .

Well , yesterday I revisited my buddy at the lfs and explained the whole situation to him concerning the now deceased pbt ,... he is ordering me another ,which should be here next Thursday ( at a "good price" ) .... now the dilemma arises regarding wether to QT or not :-/ ,...l guess that will be determined next week ., they also received a slightly beatup powered brown tang in trade ,which looks pretty good too

I do really like the powder browns as well. Wish my tank was big enough for a tang! There are so many nice ones available. One day...

Idk why but I really like white cheeks lol. But PBT are freaking gorgeous. Hopefully this next one works out better for you dary!

Dary, glad you are getting another shot at a PBT. By the way, stopped at my LFS today and was able to score a "Bullseye Scoly" out of their display tank. Also got a "Lemon Lime Chalice". I've been very fortunate with chalices and didn't have one in this color scheme.

Dary, glad you are getting another shot at a PBT. By the way, stopped at my LFS today and was able to score a "Bullseye Scoly" out of their display tank. Also got a "Lemon Lime Chalice". I've been very fortunate with chalices and didn't have one in this color scheme.
sean,..i must see a picture or two of your lemonlime chalice,...you know me and the chalices. !!!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the pbt Dary. I hope the next pbt is perfect.
I never QT either. I do put my new arrivals in a acclimation box for a few days though.

Back
Top Bottom