Cory minimum tank size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josh7

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm just wondering what are everyone's opinions on a Cory's tank size. I feel like its sort of stupid how people say a Panda, peppered, bronze or any other small Cory's minimum tank size is a 20 gallon. It's only 24 inches long? Why can't they be in a 10 gallon that's 20 inches long considering the fish is only 2.5 inches long. I hear people all the time say a fish needs at least 4 times its body length in swimming Space which makes senses to me. So why would it be cruel to put a shoal of Cory's in a 10 gallon that is almost 8 times their body length in swimming space

I'm just wondering what are everyone's opinions on a Cory's tank size. I feel like its sort of stupid how people say a Panda, peppered, bronze or any other small Cory's minimum tank size is a 20 gallon. It's only 24 inches long? Why can't they be in a 10 gallon that's 20 inches long considering the fish is only 2.5 inches long. I hear people all the time say a fish needs at least 4 times its body length in swimming Space which makes senses to me. So why would it be cruel to put a shoal of Cory's in a 10 gallon that is almost 8 times their body length in swimming space
it's not only size but bioload, and the proximity they may have to be within eachother if they don't all get along sometimes IMO. I just don't bend the rules to much.

it's not only size but bioload, and the proximity they may have to be within eachother if they don't all get along sometimes IMO. I just don't bend the rules to much.

Why would cories not get along? They are one of the most peaceful fish in the hobby. I say 20 gallons for a nice shoal.

Why would cories not get along? They are one of the most peaceful fish in the hobby. I say 20 gallons for a nice shoal.
god knows, even the most peaceful species can have a bad apple sometimes right? But is say a 20 would be fine too!

That's what I wonder is why not 10 does that 4 inches really make a difference with such a small fish.

Oh ok I mean wouldn't a group of 5 be fine in a 10 gallon or is there just not an adequate of number gallons. Because I just think that 4 inches can't make a huge difference.

IMO yes I think that would be fine but I think they'd do better in a larger group in a 20.

I do to I was just saying I mean its doable isn't it I think that a cory shoal could live a decent life in a 10 but I agree the bigger is always better. The point of this thread was to just see if its at all possible but me and you are on the same page thinking its a doable thing.

Hello josh...

As a keeper of all kinds of Corydoras, I wouldn't put even the smallest of this species in anything smaller than a 30 gallon tank. I keep several tanks and the smallest is 45 gallons.

Briefly, here are the reasons: The fish are foragers. They constantly move across the bottom looking for food. They like long tanks, so they have long areas to swim. The fish prefer living in groups of half a dozen or more. So, a larger tank is perfect. Large tanks stay cleaner, there's a lot of water to dilute water chemistry problems.

Change a lot of tank water and change it often and your Corys will live a long time.

B

Ok I understand about water changes and everything else it just doesn't make sense why a cory cat needs such a big space maybe I would have to own them to understand.

I know I'll catch flak for this, but here goes....
Oh good grief! If you want 2, 3 or 4 Corys in your 10g they will be just fine. Just get the smaller species such as Pygmys or false Julies. Also you can't stack a lot of other fish on top of them in a 10g. Get some sinking shrimp pellets as an extra "Cory food" and they LOVE frozen bloodworms. I've had Corys for 50+ years. I've had two Albino Corys in a 16g bowfront for almost two years now and they have never been sick a day in their life. They're happy and healthy as buddies together. I take acception to the "you must have a 55g plus for 6 neons" groupys. Just use common sense. In spite of what some peeps might think, "Fish can't count." If your willing to do weekly WC's and maintain your 10g properly. Go for it. Not everybody can afford a larger tank at first. Corys are happy, active and interesting enough to have just on their own. Let them give you pleasure. That's what this hobby is about. (LOL Now I'll step off my soapbox) OS.

When stocking just as long as the tank doesn't look crowded and to busy you are fine. That is how I have run my tank and I keep several sensitive species fine. 3 Pygmy cories would be the max in a 10 but can be done.

[If your willing to keep up with WC's it's 100% doable. Personally I would save up and get a 20g long if you REALLY want some Cory's. But bigger is always better. I agrees with what was also said above. I wouldn't stack any fish on them either.

You must have a group of 6 minimum, or else they will die from stress overtime. They need to be kept in group.

For small cory, like pandas, I'll say a 10 gallon is ok for a school of 6, but probably 20 gallons will be better for bigger cory species... The best substrate is sand for them, In my case I use Fluval substrate and they are happy.

Hi everyone, dont mean to steal this but what are requirments for a green laser cory, i just saw them at the LFS and they looked cool.

Back
Top Bottom