Pure ammonia in Australia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madrhy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know most of you here are in the US so I am probably not going to have much luck with this question but it can't hurt to ask, Anyone know where I can buy pure ammonia in Australia? I am assuming "cloudy ammonia" is not the same thing since it said on the bottle that is was only 2% ammonia.

Lauren

I can't help you with locating it in Aussie, but just as an FYI the "pure" ammonia we use here in the states is actually a 10% solution / water mixture, just so you know when you go looking.

The important thing, as you probably already know, is to make sure there's nothing else added. Scents/perfumes, surfactants, colors/dyes, etc.

We have quite a few australian members, hopefully one of them can point you in the right direction.

I'm also going to edit your thread title, having something more specific might help draw in some help.

I'm in Canada and have had the hardest time finding ammonia. I exhausted fish shops, hardware stores, janitorial stores.

I FINALLY found some at a campus bookstore/supply store at a technical college.

Good luck!

(There's always raw shrimp if you can't find ammonia).

I'm actually in Shellharbour Jason, I always just say Wollongong since it's close enough and more likely to be on a map lol Where are you?

Neilan - Good to know and thanks for the edit, makes sense!

Cinnamaldehyde - I thought about industrial cleaning supply places today, might have to make a few phonecalls tomorrow. The raw prawn option is best as a last resort in this house I can just see my 3 year old now "what's that?" climb, climb, splash! I guess I could always hide it in a corner :)

Thanks guys, I'll keep looking!

I know most of you here are in the US so I am probably not going to have much luck with this question but it can't hurt to ask, Anyone know where I can buy pure ammonia in Australia? I am assuming "cloudy ammonia" is not the same thing since it said on the bottle that is was only 2% ammonia.

Lauren

G'day, I'm Ken from Sydney.

You won't find pure ammonia in oz, it's on the anti terrorism hit list lol. If you want to do a fishless cycle the best way to get ammonia is by visiting this web site: http://aquadiso.com/shop/aquashop_index.html

They sell a product called ammonchlor (google it) it is ammonium chloride salt and when added to water is pure ammonia. They are in Sydney and I think they are the only ones who sell it. I used a little bit of ammonium chloride (wife’s chem set lol) and it gave me an instant ammonia reading. Good luck.

We've been to a few, mostly aquarium and pet warehouse in Albion park rail, also fins, fangs and feathers and we bought a tank at petbarn (figtree), made a trip out to lots of bubbles too but they seem expensive and not worth the effort of driving in there.

Ken - of course! So now my husband looks like a terrorist to the confused woman at the lfs hehe glad I got him to call them! Thanks for the link I'll check it out this afternoon

Ken - of course! So now my husband looks like a terrorist to the confused woman at the lfs hehe glad I got him to call them! Thanks for the link I'll check it out this afternoon

Are you saying that the woman at the lfs didn't know why you wanted ammonia? thats sad! haha I'm sure the feds won't come knocking, well not yet anyway lol.

Jason - I think it depends on what you're buying but overall they seem more expensive and some of their livestock and not so lively looking! so I don't think we'll bother driving out there often

Ken - Yup, she didn't have a clue, Hubby said she asked the person standing next to her too and they had no idea either, it does make you wonder!

Any good Fish shops in Sydney Ken?

I would say that Majestic Aquariums is one of the best in the country.
http://www.majesticaquariums.com.au/ they don't have a great online store, all though they do have one. They have an awesome shop and selection of fish that is second to non. The owner, Paul Talbot, is also very informative and has released several educational DVDs and often has seminars.

There are loads in Sydney. Having said that we find that the cheapest and most reliable online store that we always use is Age of aquariums, they are awesome.
http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/

Jason - I think it depends on what you're buying but overall they seem more expensive and some of their livestock and not so lively looking! so I don't think we'll bother driving out there often

Ken - Yup, she didn't have a clue, Hubby said she asked the person standing next to her too and they had no idea either, it does make you wonder!

What was the name of the lfs, I want to make a mental note not to visit haha

lol Ken, unlikely seeing as it is truly the local shop here - about 3 mins from my house :) generally they seem pretty good but some of them are just plain clueless, I guess you'll get that, especially with the range of pet stuff they sell, some are bound to know nothing about fish.

lol Ken, unlikely seeing as it is truly the local shop here - about 3 mins from my house :) generally they seem pretty good but some of them are just plain clueless, I guess you'll get that, especially with the range of pet stuff they sell, some are bound to know nothing about fish.

True that. Bit like our local petbarn, they have a guy just for the fish section cause he actually knows the game, any of the other attendants know nothing about aquarium keeping. In a fish only store you would expect different I guess.

Sorry to revive this thread but did any Aussies here try the Ammonchlor?? Becaue I found the site and it's 20 dollars for 100g... 100g lasts 18,500 litres apparently... That's good and all, but I'm probably going to use this stuff twice in my lifetime on a 20 litre tank so I'd basically be throwing my money away, plus they dare to charge 16.50 for postage making it the biggest rip-off I've seen in a while... I wonder if they'll sell smaller quantities?

I decided the same thing, especially when I saw the postage. We ended up taking some of the substrate, filter medium and water from our yabby tank (those things are grotty so plenty of bacteria there!), ran the tank for a few days then started slowly adding fish. It meant we needed lots of water changes but much cheaper than trying to get that stuff and much less stinky and gross than something rotting in the front room of our house. Where abouts are you? is there someone nearby you could get some filter wool or something from?

I live on the Central Coast, and I've posted around on Aussie fish forums asking if some other tank starters want to split the cost and break it up accordingly... This isn't my first tank, but I had a mishap with my last one and I have to start from scratch.

I can't believe they have the balls to charge 16.50 for a 100-150g parcel... That would cost around 4 bucks to mail with standard Auspost parcel. Unbelievable. The price of the actual product is alright though, 20 bucks. It's about a 1.5 hour drive from where I am though so I spose' I could drive down and get it one day. It'd cost me less in petrol to do that then buy it online...

Back
Top Bottom