Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #181
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok. Do you add your salt after the pwc or with your water before you pour it in?

Old 08-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #182
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Mix it before you put it in, always.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #183
Aquarium Advice Addict

got it... just a pain in the butt... I use 5 gallon water jugs to fill it, but I'll find a way. Well, my tank levels are back to normal after losing the nem :'(... trying to get a rose tip on the 1st. LFS is hooking me up with some soft corals today. Feels bad they sold me a condy and the purple tip didn't make it. So, we shall try again... and advice on starfish or urchins?
Old 08-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #184
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I know urchins are famous for knocking things around and moving corals. I had a starfish but it died pretty quick. I believe they need a very established tank to thrive.

You can store your water in a garbage can and then just dunk in a bucket to get the amount you need. I fill in 3g increments since its heavy. lol

I just fill it to the 3g line on my painters bucket and mix it there. then i dump the 3g in the tank after the salt has dissolved and the temp matches the tank. Fill and repeat.

actually, when I do a pwc on my 125g I have a line of emptybuckets for the take out water, and behind me a line of 5g buckets filled to 3g to replace it when I get all the "dirty" water buckets full.

It lets me know exactly how much i take out and how much I exactly put back in.

I made it more complicated but it works for me.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #185
Aquarium Advice Addict

I saw urchins eat GHA, and mine is disappearing, but not fast enough... Thinking of trading in one of my clowns, I have 3. I want to get this 150 gallon, but wife told me no with baby on the way... So, I will gladly put it off for now...lol
Old 08-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #186
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, I would trade in the 3rd clown, just asking for trouble there. lol Theres so many other things you can add though so don't feel bad about the 150. When is the baby due?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #187
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kio707
got it... just a pain in the butt... I use 5 gallon water jugs to fill it, but I'll find a way. Well, my tank levels are back to normal after losing the nem :'(... trying to get a rose tip on the 1st. LFS is hooking me up with some soft corals today. Feels bad they sold me a condy and the purple tip didn't make it. So, we shall try again... and advice on starfish or urchins?
Please don't get another anemone,you have already lost two.Your tank needs to be up and running well for at least a year to even try an anemone.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #188
Aquarium Advice Addict

I lost one, the other was suppose to be a long tentacle, but in fact was a condy. And the condy was flourishing fine.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #189
Aquarium Advice Addict

@ Carey- We just found out she was prego about 3 weeks ago, but if you go by old wise tells, sometime in april. I told her she could pick out the last fish I in the tank. The clowns are cool for now, swim together, play, and all three sleep on the same rock.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #190
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kio707
I lost one, the other was suppose to be a long tentacle, but in fact was a condy. And the condy was flourishing fine.
It's your money and your tank,just feel sorry for the anemone you put in.This is an advice forum,so I gave mine,just remember the key to Saltwater success is patience and learning from others mistakes.

Good luck

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com