New tank - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do yourself a favor and pass on the,strips, get a liquid kit like api sells. You will have more accurate results, which will allow you to have greater success.

+1 for using liquid test kits.... And your friends are dodging bullets, they are more likely to experience issues

Another question, how do I get my nitrate cycle started? Or has it already started? (had the tank since the 29 June) I don't have algae, yet.

Lr should start the cycle as some of it dies off, you can also add raw shrimp (as it decomposes it releases ammomnia) or get some pure ammonia (no surfactants, dyes or perfume) when you shake it it should not bubble up. I prefer pure ammonia but many like shrimp best

Ok, I have narrowed my list of fish I want in my tank... Any advice would be great. These guys will start going in on the 1st, some crabs and shrimp first, then clowns, and so forth...Hawiian Flame Angelfish
Gold Band maroon clownfish
True Percula Clownfish
Black saddleback clownfish
Freckled hawkfish
Blue hippo tang
Melanurus Fairy Wrasse

Any and all suggestions welcome. Tnx

Ammonia is poisonous to most things, so it is detrimental to have anything in your tank when you cycle, it can be done but it takes more work, money, and time.

Got it... Imma do a liquid test and see where I'm at. Hopefully the LR has done the job.

Kio707 said:
Got it... Imma do a liquid test and see where I'm at. Hopefully the LR has done the job.

Also! I would really recommend against adding many different types of clownfish. They will most likely kill each other.

Maybe 2 different? True and black saddle? Or true and gold band? Are they that aggressive toward each other? Is it ok to get three of the the same?

Kio707 said:
Maybe 2 different? True and black saddle? Or true and gold band? Are they that aggressive toward each other? Is it ok to get three of the the same?

No. Clownfish will attack any other clownfish of a different species. The b&w clowns with the regular ocellaris clowns are the only ones that "can" co-exist. But also if you want two or more of the same clownfish, it's almost inevitable to introduce them at the same time.

Yeah, I was going to put them both in at the same time. So if imma going to get two, just make sure they are the same species?

Kio707 said:
**** pixar for making Nemo seem so friendly... Smh... Lol

Hahaha yeah. It stinks but just trying to save you the time, fish, and money. :)

Different species of clowns CAN be done, but you will definitely have to introduce at the same time. They may even pair up lol. I have a black and white with a snowflake clown, but they are the same species (a. Ocellaris) but have color mutations.

Well the wife insisted (threatened me) that I will have a true. Is the black and white a morph or totally different species? I guess the saddle and maroon are out. I just like the black and white ones.

B&w have a mutated color gene. They aren't true perculas though.

Maroon clowns are beautiful though. I've got a pair of them and I love their color.

K, got it. And I just looked at the snowflake, that is an amazing looking fish.

Back
Top Bottom