New Need a little help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Every tank is different, I don't know that one method is faster than another. Pure ammonia is easier to control and dose and it's cleaner and less smelly. :)

librarygirl said:
Every tank is different, I don't know that one method is faster than another. Pure ammonia is easier to control and dose and it's cleaner and less smelly. :)

Agreed what ever is easiest for you :)

Nope, normal on new driftwood. It'll go away on its own in time. In the meantime you can just wipe it off.

I hope you don't mind me riding your thread :oops: I just am curious about the same thing...does it have to be wiped off or is it fine to just leave it. Is it safe for fish to eat?

Not at all:)...
I took mine out of the tank and washed it off like librarygirl said to do. It has been a day or so and I do not see it coming back yet…. When I got it I never put it in boiling water or anything I just let it soak for 3 weeks… As far as fish eating it and getting sick I have no clue….

Not at all:)...
I took mine out of the tank and washed it off like librarygirl said to do. It has been a day or so and I do not see it coming back yet…. When I got it I never put it in boiling water or anything I just let it soak for 3 weeks… As far as fish eating it and getting sick I have no clue….

Okay then..I will jst wipe off. And thanks for letting me bug in on your thread :)

I recommend the ammonia route for the fishless cycling. I just completed my first fishless cycle and it went pretty smooth. Well.... except for one user error (my fault, oops!). Lots of great people here to help with the process :D

MOZCHEEZ- Yes that is a fact A lot of great and smart people to help thank god..I think you are right You never get a set amount using dead shrimp. I will have to pick some up this weekend.. Thanks man....

LOVIN FISH- If you could take it out of the tank to wash it off it would work out better for you. I grabbed mine and the stuff started floating all around the tank. A lot cleaner doing it out of the tank...

MOZCHEEZ- Yes that is a fact A lot of great and smart people to help thank god..I think you are right You never get a set amount using dead shrimp. I will have to pick some up this weekend.. Thanks man....

LOVIN FISH- If you could take it out of the tank to wash it off it would work out better for you. I grabbed mine and the stuff started floating all around the tank. A lot cleaner doing it out of the tank...

Oh yeah for sure! Good tip (y)

I was thinking of getting some plants while my tank is cycling. I want to get Mbuna Cichlids.What and if I can get plants what ones do you guys and girls recommend?? I have T5 Marine-glo 54W each. 108 total.

I have no plant experience :( Someone should come along and give you some tips. If not, consider making a post in the planted tank forum. Good luck! :D

You have some good lighting so you could probably grow amost anything. I'm not sure how good Cichlids are with plants though. You could try posting in the Planted forum or the Cichlid forum and see what others say. Here's an article that mentions a Mbuna tank and plants: Mbuna Setup

Anubias, java ferns and maybe swords. Most cichlids will tear plants to bits. Convict (a member here) has an African cichlid tank quite heavily planted with anubias and it works well for him.

Thanks for the help Mumma.of.two and Librarygirl. You think it will help a little with the cycling? Also If I do get the plants and have to turn the lights on for hours at a time will this cause alge blooms being the tank is not cycled yet?

Just got back from the store and got some ammonia. On the ammonia the only one I could find in the ingredients section it says Ammonium Hydroxide and Surfactant. Is this the kind to use to Cycle the tank and also if this is the right kind is there a thread that says how to break it down for measurements. I have a 55 gallon with a 20 gallon sump. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I tried ammonia with surfactant at first. The bottle didn't bubble up when I shook it so I gave it a try. Ended up draining and rinsing the tank and restarting. I found pure ammonia at a dollar store nearby (it didn't list the ingredients - is that even legal? Lol - but it didn't bubble at all when I shook it). Also, if you have an Ace Hardware nearby, they have janitorial strength ammonia that lots of folks have used.

Im in the middle of nowhere. I drive about 45 minutes one way to a little town.. I am not going to use it. I will have to make the hour trip to a bigger city... Man I thought I had it.....

Back
Top Bottom