Ph? Cycled? Sorry so many questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im sorry that your favorite fish are dying :( I have lost 2 of my 3 most favorite fish, both of which I had to euthanize.

If he has progressed to this stage I don't think there is much you can do. I would suggest a hydrogen peroxide dip, from what I understand they are fairly good at helping a fish that isn't doing very well.

1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide (Commonly sold in brown bottles in most stores) to 10 parts water for 10 seconds.

After that if suede survives keep a close eye on him, get him in a hospital tank asap, and treat with quick cure or api general cure. I am willing to bet that it is an internal parasite which is what I would treat for. Anything with Malachite green, formalin, metronidazole, or copper should work. Copper is my least favorite medicine to use though.

If you feel that euthenasia is the way to go, use clove oil. It is commonly sold as a toothache remedy, just check the ingredient lists. Mix a few drops of the clove oil into a small bottle, mix with a few ounces of water and shake well until the water is cloudy. Add 5 or 6 drops at a time to the bowl of water the fish is in every 5 minutes or so. This method works as an anesthetic and will make the fish just fall asleep, although it can take a while. This is the single most humane method i've tried myself.

So, the maracyn 2 will not help him? I almost bought the quick cure....geez. I believe it's worms....or that hexamitia (or whatever it's called). So I thought the quick cures wouldn't work. I have melafix???? Would that work? And can I put it in the tank even though I already put the maracyn2?

So, the maracyn 2 will not help him? I almost bought the quick cure....geez. I believe it's worms....or that hexamitia (or whatever it's called). So I thought the quick cures wouldn't work. I have melafix???? Would that work? And can I put it in the tank even though I already put the maracyn2?

Maracyn 2 works on gram negative bacterial infections. It usually used along with maracyn 1 which works on gram positive infections. Together they will wipe out most bacteria and are usually highly recommended to be used together. Quick cure is the name of a medication that contains both malachite green and formalin. Both of those ingredients are proven to work well against parasites. Melafix is also a mild medicine used against bacteria and is used to help prevent secondary infections that could be caused by parasitic damage.

It shouldn't hurt anything to use the melafix along with the Maracyn 2

What color is suede's poo?

Suedes poo is white. He is still alive this morning, but I don't know how. Now, my big white marble is staying at the top of the tank. His movements are jerky, and he jumps (dashes forward 1/2 inch as if startled. I see nothing on him! Water has no Ammon, nitrites, etc. I am freaking out. My research makes me think gill flukes, but I'm so afraid to treat the wrong way! What would u do if your angels just started getting sick? He swims sideways, but on both sides. Help
Also, I have put suede in a hospital tank, so I have not medicated the 20 gallon at all yet. The white marble has always made jerky movements, but they became more often last night, and he'd been at the top of the water since last night (I thought he was just stressed about the water change). I don't know if I can handle them just continually dying!

images

apquickcure.jpg

Either of those medications should work, I would choose the general cure (Metronidazole). Also I would buy some aquarium salt and add it to the hospital tank as directed. Does your DT have any inverts?

As for treating the 20g, the best way by far to handle a larger tank is to get some Metronidazole medicated fish food.

Medicated Flake Food for Fish

Just did a quick google search and found that, I've never ordered from them though. If you have a LFS I would check there first, my lfs sold me a small bag for $5 which is more than enough to treat all my fish for a long time. If you are using the medicated food don't use it for more than 5 days because it can cause internal damage if used for too long.

Suede passed. I'm so upset. No time to even be sad, as sparkle has now spent over 24 hours at the top of the tank. There are still 0 nitrites, ammonia, under 5 nitrates. Ph a little under 8.0. I just don't understand! I did not sleep last night, trying to figure out what's wrong. After watching videos, and reading about every angelfish story online, I think it is either gill flukes or internal bacteria. Problem is, I don't know which. I am going to try tetra parasite guard. It sees to cover the most possibilities. I bought macaryn2, and e.r., to try to fight bacteria if this doesn't work, but I'm pretty sure I can't use any of these together. If anyone has had a bad experience with these meds, or has a better idea that using chemicals, please let me know. I just don't think I can watch these fish die off one by one after all the work I've put into this. And, I feel helpless as heck! I can't post a video, but again, suede lost total control of his ability to swim around, and kind of floated. Sparkle is bigger and stronger, but he keeps swimming on his sides (both), stays at the top of the tank, and lips always moving. He is still eating. I am posting this as a separate thread also, in hopes I will get more opinions before putting meds into my tank. Thank you!

The metro stuff is what I was looking for. It's one of the ingredients in parasite guard. That's why I chose it. There is only one pet store in my town, and it doesn't carry much. Thanks for helping me tho!

Should I order the food online and hope they hold out? That's what I wanted....the food. That way my cycle stays good. But, if have to wait for it. The other 2 angels are joining sparkle at the top of the tank.

Should I order the food online and hope they hold out? That's what I wanted....the food. That way my cycle stays good. But, if have to wait for it. The other 2 angels are joining sparkle at the top of the tank.

If you want to treat your tank without hurting your cycle then pull the filter pad out and stick it in a bucket of water. With all of your fish having problems I would treat for both parasites and bacteria at the same time. What medications do you currently have?

I have melafix, parasite guard (which is supposed to cure everything except bacterial), macaryn2, erythromycin (supposed to be for bacterial). I took out my carbon, and put the parasite guard in the tank. I hate to get my hopes up, but sparkle twitched thru it a few times, and I swear she started swimming stronger and straighter. This medicine says only use a total of 3 times TOTAL, and leave 48 hours between doses. I'm watching them for any agitation, and will do a 20% water change after 48 hours. How will I know if it worked? I mean, obviously, if he's not at the top, and stops jerking, but most medicines say to make sure you finish the full dose recommended (typically 5 days). Sounds like this is a one time deal. Should I treat for bacteria now, or see how it goes?

Sorry to hear about your fish. :(

To answer a question you asked earlier: LFS is the short for Local Fish Store.. at least thats what I took it to mean when I first joined this site.

If you havent already, I might suggest posting your problems under the "Unhealthy Fish" section. Not that the people in the "Getting Started" section are unable to help you, but the "Unhealthy Fish" section is specifically being looked at by people with the knowledge/experience to diagnose and help.

I have only my phone to navigate, but I'm pretty sure I copied and pasted into "unhealthy fish". I called the thread "whats wrong with my angels?" But thanks for the tip! I'm praying someone can tell me what's going on.

Well, I just seem to suck at this :( I went to feed the fish this morning, and it was 84 degrees (felt hotter to the touch). I don't understand how or why, as I didn't touch the heater. The fish were all perfectly still. The 2 small angels wouldn't come out....even for food. I left the lid off, turned off heater (which was still on), and prayed! They started swimming around, and ate....except little suede. He came out, but no food. He stays hidden. It's awful to watch. I can't catch the danio, who I SWEAR is swimming back and firth past suede to further stress him. He literally ran into him once (and suede kinda floated in a circle like he was beyond caring. I'm going to try again at feeding time (to catch danio and relocate). Wish me luck!
Oh, and I have gravel from Walmart (but I did soak in boiling water for half hour when set up tank). I have a cave, wood stump and lots of fake plants.

My heater did that too, good think I was home to catch it, my poor betta would have cooked. Since then I don't use heaters for my bettas, instead I have them in small tanks with built in light which compounded by warm climate I live in keep the water at consistent 78-80F. With bigger tank tho you probably need to get one with thermostat that you can regulate. Since my incident I don't trust those little "preset" ones.

Just fought up with your thread.... Oh, so sorry to hear you've lost your fish! I hope the others are doing better. Hang in there and don't get discouraged. It sure is a PROCESS! That's for sure. I never knew there would be sooooo much to fish keeping... But challenge.... ? I think I like it! And definitely love my fish. I'm still not out of the woods with 2 of my tanks (the other 3 are PERFECT! finally ! Again!) you'll get there! I can tell that your heart is in right place and you are using your knowledge well and willing to learn. What I thing got me out of my predicament were rigorous water changes twice a day (even more at times depending on test result) and I know you are doing that. Take care and keep us posted:)

Just fought up with your thread.... Oh, so sorry to hear you've lost your fish! I hope the others are doing better. Hang in there and don't get discouraged. It sure is a PROCESS! That's for sure. I never knew there would be sooooo much to fish keeping... But challenge.... ? I think I like it! And definitely love my fish. I'm still not out of the woods with 2 of my tanks (the other 3 are PERFECT! finally ! Again!) you'll get there! I can tell that your heart is in right place and you are using your knowledge well and willing to learn. What I thing got me out of my predicament were rigorous water changes twice a day (even more at times depending on test result) and I know you are doing that. Take care and keep us posted:)

Darn spellchecker! Meant to say " I've been following your thread"!!

Back
Top Bottom