Super High Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you seen nitrItes yet? You'll always see nitrItes during a cycle. When the cycle is done, however, the results will always be 0 ammo, 0 nitrItes and the nitrAte levels can vary.

No, I never did...but didn't check for them until last week. I may have cycled before then?

I may have missed it, but what is your current ammo level? If it's anything over 0 the cycle isn't done. And you're certain it's 0 nitrItes?

After this change, I am about .25ppm ammonia. I can't detect any purple in the nitrite test. Looks like 0 to me.

That's probably just the remnants of your ammo spike from the dead fish. Go ahead and do a pwc to knock it out. Your biofilter will handle it, but it's better to take care of it yourself. Just remember to use your dechlorinator.

So, since I have ammonia and nitrates and no nitrites, I'm not quite cycled. Is that right? Should I sit back and test the ammonia again in a bit and see if it goes down on it's own, or do another PWC now? Went from 2ppm to .25 on this last change.

Pwc's are always a good thing unless you forget to dechlorinate or match temps. I'd go ahead and see if you can knock out the ammo.

Did another PWC. That makes a 90% and a 50% today. Waiting a bit then checking ammo again.

And thanks for all the help. Really appreciate it. Also, fantastic article you wrote. Really good job.

Happy to help. Thanks for the compliment. I hope you send anyone who has questions about fishless cycling there. :)

So, returned from work and checked levels and here's what I've got:

Ammo: .50ppm
Nitrites: .25ppm (first time ever seen)
NitrAtes: 40ppm

Starting major PWC right now.

Bud said:
So, returned from work and checked levels and here's what I've got:

Ammo: .50ppm
Nitrites: .25ppm (first time ever seen)
NitrAtes: 40ppm

Starting major PWC right now.

Alright, your cycles moving along. Just stay on top of the pwc's. Keep the ammo as low possible and don't let anything spike too high. You're on your way. If you want to keep all the swimmers alive, it's gonna take some time and bucket carrying...but you're doing a good job.

Chelseachuy said:
sorry beginner here what does pwc stand for lol ?

Partial water change. Welcome to AA! People here love their acronyms, lol. I think there's a thread that goes over most of them...I'll see if I can find it.

And Bud, update us with your parameters tomorrow to see how much they're climbing. Just make sure you're keeping the ammo under .25.

Back
Top Bottom