Bichir's First Planted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well if ive got anything to help jump start the rising of bichirs tank 2.0 lemme know...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks man, can't think of anything right now. Not gonna go 180 from this tank, probably not even going to change a lot of anything but am going to start looking at other layouts/options that won't make me bite the bullet with the equipment I have...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Keep an eye on water parameters also bro. If co2 went crazy high for a long period, you may be at risk of losing the cycle IIRC.

Jesse

Sorry to hear about the loss. I killed 5 furcata forktail rainbows from a CO2 overdose. DC was bright yellow. The other fish (CPDs, embers, otos) were fine. I recall adjusting the output and monitoring the bubble count over the weekend. Perhaps I needed to spend more time watching it. The diffuser looked like an air stone the following Monday when I got home from work.
It is possible that your cat brushed up against the fine adjustment knob. It is a very touchy control.

Keep an eye on water parameters also bro. If co2 went crazy high for a long period, you may be at risk of losing the cycle IIRC.

Jesse

Ok I'll keep them in check! Don't want my pH to crash either.
I'm not forensic scientist but based on the relatively still colored up corpses I think they were still alive very soon before I got home.
Probably didn't miss is by an hour.

Sorry to hear about the loss. I killed 5 furcata forktail rainbows from a CO2 overdose. DC was bright yellow. The other fish (CPDs, embers, otos) were fine. I recall adjusting the output and monitoring the bubble count over the weekend. Perhaps I needed to spend more time watching it. The diffuser looked like an air stone the following Monday when I got home from work.
It is possible that your cat brushed up against the fine adjustment knob. It is a very touchy control.

Thanks man, sorry about your loss as well.
As of now I'm suspecting a cat but am not ruling anything out...

Does your solinoid vibrate when is running? If it does this might cause the needle valve to open up a little. It doesn't take much to go from normal BPS to volcano with that either

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Does your solinoid vibrate when is running? If it does this might cause the needle valve to open up a little. It doesn't take much to go from normal BPS to volcano with that either

Haven't noticed, I'll check that when I get home. And I've accidentally done that and am amazed by how picky it is.
Darn thing moves if you look at.

Ok so the tank has hit a massive low. No pics to follow of this tank in its current state but here's my plan..
I'm going to tear down the five, I'll bring her back when time permits but as of now I just don't have enough of it to worry about this, and I'm also petty much over high techs tanks.
Once I get her down up comes the 40b. It'll be easier to maintain and basically only require me to feed and change the water, not dose, worry about levels of everything and stuff. No plants in this, still deciding on stock but I'm fairly certain of the route.
I'm keeping the five like I said it'll just be a low tech. Heavy emphasis on low. So that's the current state of affairs with my aquatic stuffs....

What are you thinking for the 40? You saod you haven't decided but have you narrowed it down?

What are you thinking for the 40? You saod you haven't decided but have you narrowed it down?

Pretty much sold on one stock now. Either going Lake Tang or SA....

A huge shell dweller lake tang tank?

That was my first idea then an sa really caught my eye. But a 40b would leave me lots of room to work with as far as the species from lake tang I'm looking at are concerned.

What happened in the 5g??

If you were worried about levels during dosing then switching to EI would eliminate all the silly testing.... No need to test for potassium, phosphate, iron or nitrate

What happened in the 5g??

If you were worried about levels during dosing then switching to EI would eliminate all the silly testing.... No need to test for potassium, phosphate, iron or nitrate

Have slacked maintenance severely on it and algae took over. It's not necessarily the testing just too many variables and time needed.

Ok so the tank has hit a massive low. No pics to follow of this tank in its current state but here's my plan..
I'm going to tear down the five, I'll bring her back when time permits but as of now I just don't have enough of it to worry about this, and I'm also petty much over high techs tanks.
Once I get her down up comes the 40b. It'll be easier to maintain and basically only require me to feed and change the water, not dose, worry about levels of everything and stuff. No plants in this, still deciding on stock but I'm fairly certain of the route.
I'm keeping the five like I said it'll just be a low tech. Heavy emphasis on low. So that's the current state of affairs with my aquatic stuffs....

What plants are you thinking about for the low-tech tank? Anubias? Crypts?

What plants are you thinking about for the low-tech tank? Anubias? Crypts?

Haven't gotten that far yet lol. The revamp of her won't be till next year...

Back
Top Bottom