Bichir's First Planted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bichir Bro

Aquarium Advice Addict
It took many moons to get her to this stage but finally I can say that she's flooded and itchin for some plants!
Follow along if you'd like, lots of learning to be had for sure! Here's my set up and equipment...
~EQUIPMENT~
•Current Satellite + Pro (no kill like overkill eh)
•24oz Valken Paintball Tank w/ Aquatek Mini reg.
•Rhinox 1000 glass diffuser along with a generic drop checker
•Cobalt Neo-therm heater
~FERTS~
•PPS-Pro
~POSSIBLE FLORA~
•Star. Repens
•AR "Mini"
•Ammania sp. Bonsai
•Downoi
~POSSIBLE FAUNA~
•school of micro rasboras
•Dwarf Puffer (alone)
•CPO

Thanks for reading :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Needs plants :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Needs plants :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hopefully sometime around next or next next week ;)

Following along. What size tank is it?

Thanks for stopping by! It's a Fluval Spec V. Really a great little tank, my only complaint is the height but that's easy enough to deal with.

Cool setup Bichir...how about some more pics behind the scenes(equipment,interesting to see how others set things up)?

sit in silence...

Cool setup Bichir...how about some more pics behind the scenes(equipment,interesting to see how others set things up)?

sit in silence...

Sure thing!

Here's the stand. My mom got it at Rooms to go I believe, the thing is pretty awesome. Extreme sturdy and can easily hold the weight.

Here's the two little shelves. Bottom one holds my ferts, water conditioner and test kits (kits added post picture). Top holds my stainless steel Aqua scape tools and my light controls. I'm pretty proud of myself for what I did with the ramp timer, I thought it was a good idea especially when trying to hide stuff :D

Here's the filter, nothin special just cut up the stock block of sponge to allow more room for bio balls. I have a pack of fluval bio balls and carbon wrapped in filter floss. Darn tank cleared up in a couple hours! Pretty impressed with the rig as of now...
Output flow leaves a lot to be a desired however. I was under the impression the flow was insane (lots of reviews claimed that) now that I actually get it going it's hardly enough to reach the other side of the tank.
Thinking about possibly getting a tiny power head but worried it could be too much??

Here's my wires and where my co2 stuff will go once plants get in. Timer is for co2...

And my un-filled and unattached co2 set up.

Very cool bro..always nice to get the complete picture of how others set there tanks up...Really dig the stand too..

sit in silence...

Very cool bro..always nice to get the complete picture of how others set there tanks up...Really dig the stand too..

sit in silence...

Thanks man! The stand is really awesome, perfect size for tanks like this with plenty of handy storage.

Fa sho!

sit in silence...

So whatcha think about the tiny power head idea? The petco near me sells Hydor's smallest powerhead but I'm worried its just too much?
The pump on full power is still barely enough to cover the tanks entirety....

So whatcha think about the tiny power head idea? The petco near me sells Hydor's smallest powerhead but I'm worried its just too much?
The pump on full power is still barely enough to cover the tanks entirety....

If it's the 240 it will be undoubtedly too much(currently use that model in my 20L&is almost too much)...look into the Eheim 350 skimmer for added flow(has flow adjustment on the side)...

sit in silence...

Been watching for a deal on a wavemaker controller for the 240,would rather it pulsate than be full on..

sit in silence...

Welcome to the planted side of fishkeeping! It looks like you've done way more research than when I first started. About the powerhead, I agree with tiger terror.

Following along.

The eheim skim 350 would be a nice little water mover. I have mine set to the lower middle range. Any higher and I get bubbles from it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Been watching for a deal on a wavemaker controller for the 240,would rather it pulsate than be full on..

sit in silence...

If it's the 240 it will be undoubtedly too much(currently use that model in my 20L&is almost too much)...look into the Eheim 350 skimmer for added flow(has flow adjustment on the side)...

sit in silence...

Hmmm I was wanting to pick up the Eheim 350 but was unsure if it actually had an output.
I'll likely end up getting one not too long after I get plants, this'll also help since the tank has no top...

Welcome to the planted side of fishkeeping! It looks like you've done way more research than when I first started. About the powerhead, I agree with tiger terror.

Thanks for the welcoming! When I first started looking in at all this high tech stuff I got overwhelmed pretty quickly. Way too much to take in at once, but once you grapple the horns it's not that bad...on paper anyway :)
Had to split my research into chunks and really just shifted the ideas I originally had to work with the knowledge I gained along with all the new stuff (ferts, co2 and stuff).

Following along.

The eheim skim 350 would be a nice little water mover. I have mine set to the lower middle range. Any higher and I get bubbles from it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm pretty much sold on this little skimmer. I think you guys just costed me $35!

And think you just got started!

As for your electric issue if the room has alot of appliances (corner light, popcorn maker, etc.) that are always on you might have some power issues.
I know that while my 75gal and 29 are on the same room wall along with a flat screen TV and all the boxes for the tv they run on different circuits. The 75 and tv on one, and the 29 and 3 more outlets on another one. Your breaker box (if its labeled) can tell you if the outlet you are using shares a circuit with something else.
Running a tank and tv on the same circuit shouldn't be an issue, but if you have 2+ tanks and a tv it could be an issue.

*disclaimer* This is how my house is wired, but everyones house is different so it may not work for you

And think you just got started!

As for your electric issue if the room has alot of appliances (corner light, popcorn maker, etc.) that are always on you might have some power issues.
I know that while my 75gal and 29 are on the same room wall along with a flat screen TV and all the boxes for the tv they run on different circuits. The 75 and tv on one, and the 29 and 3 more outlets on another one. Your breaker box (if its labeled) can tell you if the outlet you are using shares a circuit with something else.
Running a tank and tv on the same circuit shouldn't be an issue, but if you have 2+ tanks and a tv it could be an issue.

*disclaimer* This is how my house is wired, but everyones house is different so it may not work for you

Hm hadn't really thought of that. My dad has the breaker box all labeled and stuff I do not know much about it. You see I meant to learn then I forgot :D
Nothing on the outlet stays on save the tanks filter and heater.Everything else, minus light and co2, is intermittently on/off.
I wouldn't imagine it's too much but I'll certainly look into this further!

What tall plants are you considering? Some AR 'Rosaefolia' might look nice if it's not next to the mini version. It's one of the easiest "high tech looking" plants that is really red. Also, I like the idea of Micro Rasboras in your tank. Nice shoals of fish in planted tanks always look peaceful in my opinion!

What tall plants are you considering? Some AR 'Rosaefolia' might look nice if it's not next to the mini version. It's one of the easiest "high tech looking" plants that is really red. Also, I like the idea of Micro Rasboras in your tank. Nice shoals of fish in planted tanks always look peaceful in my opinion!

Ammania bonsai is the tall one I'm wanting. I like the idea of having the ar mini in the middle of the rocks as center piece and the rest green. I love Rosaefolia and may look into it more than previously considered...
I like chili rasboras a lot and a nice big ol school of em would be truly awesome but I'm still kinda torn. the Idea of a little puffer buddy rather than just aimless little fishes sounds pretty good..

Ammania bonsai is the tall one I'm wanting. I like the idea of having the ar mini in the middle of the rocks as center piece and the rest green. I love Rosaefolia and may look into it more than previously considered...
I like chili rasboras a lot and a nice big ol school of em would be truly awesome but I'm still kinda torn. the Idea of a little puffer buddy rather than just aimless little fishes sounds pretty good..

I've never had that type of puffer myself, but from what I've heard on this forum, they are excellent little fish. I've heard that they have a personality that you really can't get out of other freshwater fish. I'd probably be torn too if I had the same decision to make. If you go the puffer route, some Oto cats might make for good tankmates.

Back
Top Bottom