Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Asian Biotope Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RedMax -

Forgot to tell you that the diffuser cleaning went well. Most of the algae was cleared off of it and I noticed the same amount of bubble production as when it was brand new. I'll be using Fresh2o's cleaning method from now on though as the GLA product didn't last me very long.

Go Reds!

Glad to hear it went well.

Do you think Fresh's technique would be ok for a GLA diffuser? I'd hate to muck mine up, they aren't the cheapest tools...

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

Haha...I have a Technique now?
Not sure how the syringe would harm the GLA diffuser. I use positive and negative pressure to pull liquids through the ceramic layer.
I'm using a $5-$10 glass/ceramic diffuser and if it is damaged then it's not a big loss. With bleach it comes out bright white.
When using bleach I was concerned with leaving residue in the ceramic matrix. Sometimes bleach takes quite a bit of rinsing to remove and I thought soaking would not be enough (though I do finish with a Prime + water soak). Thus, the syringe.
According to the GLA site, they don't recommend bleach. There was no mention of hydrogen peroxide. Their cleaner consists of an acid solution. http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-diffusers/atomic-inline-diffuser-16.html I would peruse the TPT forums for GLA diffuser cleaning methods and what worked best.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Now that I think about it, it's probably the Fresh Method haha.

I'll check out TPT and see what they have to say. That acid would get pricey if you clean those things every two weeks like they request.

Muriatic acid is often used to clean out diffusers. If this is the same as the GLA cleaner, then you could probably get it much cheaper at a hardware store.

Best stuff is just standard bleach. So so so cheap and easy. I just give mine a light rinse in tap water and straight back in the tank. No hassle or trouble with bleach residue

Best stuff is just standard bleach. So so so cheap and easy. I just give mine a light rinse in tap water and straight back in the tank. No hassle or trouble with bleach residue

I agree. The question is whether it is okay for use with the GLA brand diffusers. On their product page they specify not to use bleach.

I agree. The question is whether it is okay for use with the GLA brand diffusers. On their product page they specify not to use bleach.

Ok I'm not familiar with gla products so was not aware. I can't believe they would go faulty in bleach. Sounds like a company twisting your arm to buy their expensive cleaner

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

A little update. The Cyperus is starting to rebound a little bit, and the Bylxa is starting to adjust well.

Go Reds!

Muriatic acid is often used to clean out diffusers. If this is the same as the GLA cleaner, then you could probably get it much cheaper at a hardware store.

The bottle doesn't list what happens to be in it. It says that it is a "special formula" haha! If it is this acid that you're talking about, then it would be cost effective for me to get a gallon of it from the Home Depot. It costs about $6 or $7.

Go Reds!

The bottle doesn't list what happens to be in it. It says that it is a "special formula" haha! If it is this acid that you're talking about, then it would be cost effective for me to get a gallon of it from the Home Depot. It costs about $6 or $7.

Go Reds!

I would check further on this site or TPT regarding GLA diffuser cleaning methods and muriatic acid.

I'm going to get an Aquaflora bulb from Giesemann and a Midday Bulb from Giesemann for the new bulb order. The Aquaflora bulb provides a brighter red/pinkish color than what I currently have. I've also read some great reviews about this bulb combo. It's about $10-12 pricier than last year's bulb order, but I think it will be worth it. I'm also going to be tossing (not literally haha...well maybe) the digital thermostat from my tank. It's taking up unnecessary space and is sort of ugly. I'll be getting a thermometer than can be viewed from the outside of the tank. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3744+12089&pcatid=12089

Here are the bulb links:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21456
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?&pcatid=21454

Go Reds!

Okay guys, I'm going to shake up the plant lineup a little bit. In my quest to find the balance, I've found that I have mostly slow growing plants right now. Well... that means that algae will win the battle every time since not all the nutrients will be utilized by the plants.

I'm going to swap the Cyperus helferi for some type of Val (something that doesn't get to be gigantic size though). Corkscrew Val or Tiger Val comes to mind. I might be getting a new bunch of Rotala rotundifolia. The stems I have now have been through a lot. They stunted when I had them in the tank with no CO2 and awkward PPS dosing (when I was neglecting the tank...?). Basically, they never got off to a good start. Could that possibly be hindering their growth now? I'll be shading the area around my Java Fern with some Water Sprite. The J. Fern would appreciate the shade greatly. I also want to have another plant in the foreground besides the Downoi. Any opinions?

Note: I am considering just having an "Asian Fish Only" tank instead of having the biotope. It stings a little to be limited. If I would happen to do this, I could also consider Echinodorus 'Vesuvius' as the replacement for the Cyperus.

Go Reds!

Back
Top Bottom