Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Asian Biotope Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm following along. Your tank is looking nice!

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you!

Today I purchased a dozen Harlequin Rasboras. I got a good deal on them too! Here is a picture of some of them:

My stock is almost complete. I might add some Amano Shrimp. I'm still dwelling on if I should or not. I'll definitely be adding more Assassin Snails.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've got harlequins in my tank. They're a pretty cool fish to look at. I have seven, probably not enough for really cool behavior, but still fun to watch.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've got harlequins in my tank. They're a pretty cool fish to look at. I have seven, probably not enough for really cool behavior, but still fun to watch.

They serve as a great dither fish for my Dwarf Honey Gouramis. Since I've put the Rasboras in my tank, my pair of gourami have been much less passive.

Just a couple random pictures:

The Rotala rotundifolia has some new growth after being moved a week ago; although, there are a couple brownish leaves on some of the stems. Hopefully it will "explode" in growth soon.

Looks nice. My Harlequins used to go into breeding behavior after every water change ❤️. They are great fish and often under appreciated.

Looks nice. My Harlequins used to go into breeding behavior after every water change ❤️. They are great fish and often under appreciated.

Agreed! I love the way they swim around in groups.

Tanks is looking great, I dig the loach..

Thanks. The loaches are becoming my personal favorite.

Fishenthusiast you just have fine grain eco complete right?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fishenthusiast you just have fine grain eco complete right?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 2 bags of Eco-Complete fine grade over some other sandy substrate (can't remember the name).

How does the fine grade Eco-Complete stack up against the normal stuff? I've got 60 pounds on order for my tank and I was hoping that it's a little more sandy than the regular, which is what I have in my 10 gal.

How does the fine grade Eco-Complete stack up against the normal stuff? I've got 60 pounds on order for my tank and I was hoping that it's a little more sandy than the regular, which is what I have in my 10 gal.

The only difference is that it is smaller in grain size. It is also more sandy than the course variety, which makes it look nice. I like it!

That's exactly what I'm looking for! I couldn't find any stores that carried it so I have no reference to look at it. My LFS is getting some in for me this week so I'll know haha.

Maybe a year ago the fine grain stuff was becoming harder to find. Not sure if it has been discontinued (cannot see why). Wish I knew about it when I setup my tanks. Don't get me wrong, the plants are doing fine in the regular grain size.
Sounds like it will be easier for smaller carpet plants and grasses. And for loaches and cories. Good luck with the transition.

That's exactly what I'm looking for! I couldn't find any stores that carried it so I have no reference to look at it. My LFS is getting some in for me this week so I'll know haha.

I could only find mine on Petsolutions.com. Other than that, it was literally nonexistent online. Not even Foster and Smith had it. I contacted the company that makes Eco-Complete and they told me themselves that they were producing less of the product. The reason for them doing that is beyond me.

It is almost time for me to get new bulbs for T5 HO duel lamp. Do you guys think I should get the pink rosette 650 nm bulb this time around? I have it currently, but I didn't know if two full spectrum films vs one of them would make a huge difference. Or should I just get 2 39W 6000 K bulbs?

I'm still trying to find the proper balance for this tank. I have some GSA right now, so it looks like I'll have to adjust the ferts.

I got some good looking plants from Fresh2o recently. The Blyxa seems to be melting slightly, but hopefully it will regain form soon.

When I got the Blyxa, I noticed that the older leaves developed a very fine hair green algae. Meanwhile, new growth started at the crown of each plant. I waited for a decent amount of new growth and then I snipped off all the old growth.

When I got the Blyxa, I noticed that the older leaves developed a very fine hair green algae. Meanwhile, new growth started at the crown of each plant. I waited for a decent amount of new growth and then I snipped off all the old growth.

Okay. It seems to be a nice little plant once it has adjusted. It looks nice in your tank and Brookster's tank.

I might replace the Cyperus helferi with some type of Val in a couple months. That is, if I can't get it to grow the way I'd like it to. It came from a gel pack, and I've had mixed results with plants that came from those.

Back
Top Bottom