Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Asian Biotope Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, I'll be changing the background out to a plain blue background here in the near future. I took a look at Rivercats' 220 g and saw how it's blue background and black gravel made the plants "pop."

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Good move.

It seems like it should be. I'm trying to replicate the strategies used by various planted gurus on this forum, with my own creative thinking too (hence the biotope...with the exception of one plant). I keep thinking to myself, "it's only a matter of time before these plants take off." I'll have to be patient though haha... I'm not even done planting up the tank yet.

Also, I'll be changing the background out to a plain blue background here in the near future.

Are you going to use a vinyl background or will you paint it? I painted mine using a "sample" from Sherwin Williams. They sell cheap pints (I think I paid $6).

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Are you going to use a vinyl background or will you paint it? I painted mine using a "sample" from Sherwin Williams. They sell cheap pints (I think I paid $6).

I'm just going to get a plain vinyl background. This time around, I'm not going one that is static cling (they tear easily).

I had a vinyl background on my tank, but it was taped on and looked bad. How do you attach the background to the tank?

I had a vinyl background on my tank, but it was taped on and looked bad. How do you attach the background to the tank?

With water. I guess with the background I plan on getting, you just apply water to it and fine tune it so that it isn't wrinkled or looks bad.

Update: I'll be playing around with the ferts this weekend! It's almost time to make a new batch. I'll try to fine tune them this time. I'm also going to clean the CO2 diffuser with a special detergent from GLA. A new bulb order for the T5's should be placed in a couple weeks. Hopefully I can find the sweet spot (fingers crossed).

With water. I guess with the background I plan on getting, you just apply water to it and fine tune it so that it isn't wrinkled or looks bad.

Update: I'll be playing around with the ferts this weekend! It's almost time to make a new batch. I'll try to fine tune them this time. I'm also going to clean the CO2 diffuser with a special detergent from GLA. A new bulb order for the T5's should be placed in a couple weeks. Hopefully I can find the sweet spot (fingers crossed).

Hmm that makes sense. When I had my vinyl back drop on mine, it got some water on it and stuck to the glass in a couple areas.

Let me know how the diffuser cleaning goes... I need to do that to mine real bad.

I have a non-GLA diffuser and have used hydrogen peroxide and bleach. If it's not too dirty then peroxide works. If using bleach, a good rinse followed by a soak with water and Prime will help make is safe for use.
Using a small 10 mL syringe and a short length of airline tubing, you can use that to draw or push liquid (cleaner or rinse) through the ceramic diffuser. I got the syringe for $.79 at the grocery store in the baby products aisle.

Hmm that makes sense. When I had my vinyl back drop on mine, it got some water on it and stuck to the glass in a couple areas.

Let me know how the diffuser cleaning goes... I need to do that to mine real bad.

Sure will!

I'm planning on getting two 39W 6500K bulbs for the T5 HO lamp. I think that it will make the tank look brighter too. My thinking is that the red bulb that I have makes it less bright in my tank. I know that the red bulb is beneficial to the plants, but I want a brighter tank. I'm hoping that my thinking isn't flawed on this haha!

New plan of attack:

The Cyperus isn't cutting it for me. I'm going to replace it with something that grows faster. The Blyxa (soon to be a patch...hopefully in a couple months) will cover the grassy aspect of my tank. What plant do you guys think I should replace it with?

Quick Question:

I have some BBA on my Rotala rotundifolia. Could I spot dose Flourish Excel with a syringe to possibly get rid of it?

Quick Question:

I have some BBA on my Rotala rotundifolia. Could I spot dose Flourish Excel with a syringe to possibly get rid of it?

Yes. You can also use hydrogen peroxide. It should change colors from dark to pink to white or gray over the next few days as it dies. It may take multiple treatments. Be sure to shut off your filters and pumps during treatment and leave them off for 15-20 minutes afterwards.

Yes. You can also use hydrogen peroxide. It should change colors from dark to pink to white or gray over the next few days as it dies. It may take multiple treatments. Be sure to shut off your filters and pumps during treatment and leave them off for 15-20 minutes afterwards.

Sounds easy enough. Thanks Fresh!

I have something in my tank that I cannot identify. It is powdery and brown, and it comes off of some of my plants. Could someone identify this for me? What could I do to get rid of it?

I don't know if it is some type of algae, bacteria, etc.?

Go Reds!

Just diatoms, should go way with time and wc's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just diatoms, should go way with time and wc's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay. Thanks Brook

My quest to find the balance is getting there. My Nitrate is at a good level of 10 ppm, but my Phosphate level is sort of high at 10 ppm. I have some GSA though, so I'm wondering what the cause could be. Maybe I should cut how much phosphate I put into my ferts in half?

Go Reds!

But everyone says up phosphates to rid GSA.

Maybe the fish tank myth has another example here

Back
Top Bottom