10gal stocking help?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Donkey Gun said:
I'm just about to do the same thing. I had a 10 gallon sitting around and Here's my plan...

some sparkling gouramis, Tail Spot Pygmy Cory, 4 Male Endler's Livebearers

feel free to steal or criticize

I would leave out the live bearers and just fill out the pygmys.

sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread...

but if I was going to go with Sparkling Gourami's and Pygmy Corey's in a 10 gallon, what should their numbers be? an ratio if sexes?

bruinsbro, i DIG that stock config!!

i think we MIGHT have a winner.. maybe a few less cory but that sounds good to me :)

& no donk, its not cycled but i have a filter that is being used by a friend & water from my big tank. PLUS, i know everyone on here is all about cycling but i've never done it & i've been fine thus far. i mean, i would obv run the tank for a day or so but i'm not gonna go nuts for a 10gal community. i KNOW it'll be fine ;)

maybe i just dont get it or maybe i'm being ignorant .. either way, i'll be alright lol

but if I was going to go with Sparkling Gourami's and Pygmy Corey's in a 10 gallon, what should their numbers be? an ratio if sexes?

Pygmy cories IMO just need six of them. They'll be fine after that.

Sparkling gouramis is a little bit different. I have heard (but do not have experience) they like trios, with a ratio of one male to two females.

ronnieroach said:
& no donk, its not cycled but i have a filter that is being used by a friend & water from my big tank. PLUS, i know everyone on here is all about cycling but i've never done it & i've been fine thus far. i mean, i would obv run the tank for a day or so but i'm not gonna go nuts for a 10gal community. i KNOW it'll be fine ;)

maybe i just dont get it or maybe i'm being ignorant .. either way, i'll be alright lol

Yea, I hear ya on that.. I didn't know about cycling when I started my 29 gallon, I just bought some suicide zebras left them in for a week, then sold them back to the LFS... then proceeded to stock.. had
no issues.

Donkey Gun said:

3x6 lol.
A trio of the sparkling gouramis, 2 female 1 male. & 6 pygmys.

Steal some gravel and other decor as well thats how I set up my tanks. But keep an eye on water levels just to be safe.

Sorry, i wouldnt do corys in a 10. They get pretty big and are active. Even pygmys are iffy. I would do some

3x kuhli loaches
6x glowlight tetra
1x dwarf gourami

Anybody correct me if i gave bad info, but i think this would work

IMO pygmy cories are a better fit for a 10 than kuhli loaches are. Some feel kuhli's need 20gals+, but I do think a 10 is OK if it's got a smooth substrate they can burrow in. Kuhli's, like most loaches, should really be stocked in groups of 5 or more. IMO glowlights are too big for a 10.

I'm just about to do the same thing. I had a 10 gallon sitting around and Here's my plan...

some sparkling gouramis, Tail Spot Pygmy Cory, 4 Male Endler's Livebearers

feel free to steal or criticize

I like this plan. The hastatus are incredibly shy. They are also very tiny. I would go ahead and get about 8. Mine are in hiding most of the time for what it's worth.

You had golden wonder killies. DEFINITELY not for nano tanks.

You can PM severum mama or HN1, they carry killies and have some of the best fish out there ;)

I would do pygmy cories. It's fine with me. Khuli loaches I would not, get far too active and big (four inches) for a ten gallon IMO. This is what I would do:
X6 pygmy cories
X6 ember tetras
X1 killie of your choice

or

X6 Celestial Pearl Danios/Galaxy Rasbora
X3 Sparkling Gouramis

or

If you wanted species only

1 dwarf puffer, 2 if you have this tank heavily planted

JMO.
Some killies would tear those little fish to pieces. Something like normans lampeye, pygmy, or least killies would probably work, but I wouldn't pair larger killies with small fish like those. Some aren't even great for most larger fish. Also, CPD's and sparklers aren't really temperature compatible. CPD's do best in the low 70's where as the gouramis need 78 or higher.

Pygmy cories IMO just need six of them. They'll be fine after that.

Sparkling gouramis is a little bit different. I have heard (but do not have experience) they like trios, with a ratio of one male to two females.
I mistakenly ended up with 2 males and 1 female, which did cause some issues. They are however difficult to sex. Try to do some research on that and look at pics so you can atleast give sexing them a shot, since 2 F and 1 M will work out much better.

i think i'm gonna go:
6 pygmy cory
6 embers (or tetras)
1 killie (or dwarf gouramie)

if i can find em :)
Pygmy cories, especially hastatus or pygmeaus, will be all but unseen if you were to pair them with a large fish like a DG or most killies. Habrosus would be the pygmy cory I would go with if there will be larger fish in the tank. If you find a killie you like, I would ask questions about that specific type before adding it to any community setting.

Some killies would tear those little fish to pieces. Something like normans lampeye, pygmy, or least killies would probably work, but I wouldn't pair larger killies with small fish like. Some aren't even great for most larger fish. Also, CPD's and sparklers aren't really temperature compatible. CPD's do best in the low 70's where as the gouramis need 78 or higher.

I do agree, that Norman's Lampeye, least killies, and pygmies would a good choice. Killies is too big of a general term, I aplogize.

Really? Strange, I've always thought of CPDs and sparklers together, ya know, since they're both from Asia...good to know :)

haha Yeah I was bummed since that was my original plan. Well atleast I have no experience keeping CPD's at higher temps than that so it's not as if I can say it doesn't work for sure...but..my research suggested that anything over 75 was too high for them, so I try to keep them real cool(they weren't cheap!). On the other hand even 75 is apparently too cool for the sparklers who like 78-82 much better.

Sparkling gouramis, croaking gourami, chocolate gourami are all options.
You could have a dwarf puffer.
Nanos include ember tetas, celestial pearl danios, micro rasbora, chili rasbora, scarlet badis, green neons, Endler's livebearers, and clown killifish.
Shell dweller would be awesome! There are several species known as shell dwellers that are pretty similar. Multis are most common one that I know of. :)
Another option would be a pygmy sunfish or a couple of dwarf crays (cpo).
Rams, rummies, and cards are all too big for a 10g IMO.

Edit: Sorry, I missed a page of posts, so I repeated some info.

i'm gonna skip the killie.. probably gonna do cory & a big school of nano or tetra orrrr 2 schools or tetra or whatever i find but i'm officially not doin anything crazy

maybe i'll just get an oscar hahaha

Back
Top Bottom