12-50 gallon upgrade build thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A mandarin goby needs an established tank with a large pod population. They only eat pods unless you have one trained on other foods. Tank should be running about a year and you could get a bottle of,pods from the Lfs to start you off. Just saying...

Rosesrblu1 said:
A mandarin goby needs an established tank with a large pod population. They only eat pods unless you have one trained on other foods. Tank should be running about a year and you could get a bottle of,pods from the Lfs to start you off. Just saying...

My mandarin monty is thriving in the nano, the rockwork is teeming with pods and is well mature this stuff will be coming over with the other stuff once the new tank is fully cycled. He eats frozen too and when he first goes over ill be using live pod packs to help supplement. :)

So i never used the ammonia to cycle as regardless of what other people used I'm too worried about adding something I don't want lol. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate back down to 5 so I did a 25% water change yesterday which returned the nitrate to 0. I added my first stock yesterday i added a one eyed green chromis my friend at the lfs said I could 'borrow' lol. I also moved 2 toadstool 1 xenia and 1 zoa frag from my other tank and everything opened and looked well today, so far so good! Ill check my parameters in the morning when I get up as it's late and I'm just in from work, ill get some photos in the morning too, here's a quick latest full tank shot!

ForumRunner_20120618_234443.jpg

steg22 said:
you gunna get a partner for monty?

Yeah I think i probably will mate when the tank has done a LOT of maturing, need to do some research on sexing them as well before anything like that happens.

man that'll be sick! i'm debating whether to spend my money on a van or on a marine lol.

genius lol, just need a new job now! i can get a grand together shortly for the aqua one 300 only downside is you need the same again to stock it lol! then i also thought about doing my juwel but it's too scratched so if i do it i want to do it properly.

steg22 said:
genius lol, just need a new job now! i can get a grand together shortly for the aqua one 300 only downside is you need the same again to stock it lol! then i also thought about doing my juwel but it's too scratched so if i do it i want to do it properly.

Steg mate start marines with something you can afford, like a 2 gallon pico lol! ;-)

lol! i'll get there mate, just might have to use the live rock from the garden crawling with woodlouse! lol

Just thinking it's been ages since I did an update, 7 weeks in now got all my stock other than my Mandarin in now. Also a couple of my corals awaiting my lighting decision still not sure which way to go yet led or t5 never made so many uturns into life lol.

ForumRunner_20120711_133632.jpg

Was meant to say Parameters are nice and steady this mornings tests after adding my clowns at the weekend read.
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.2
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5ppm
Mag 1500
Calcium 440
Phosphate 0
Kh 143.2
Is there anything else reef wise I should be testing for?

Nice build so far!!!! I personally have a 6 lamp t5ho on my 55g and I have softies, LPS and SPS all thriving. LED is better and I wish I gone that route but a 6xt5 will suffice. I don't find heat an issue but I run an open top. If you want to cover your tank I suggest a screen top to promote gas exchange and it will also allow proper light penetration. Glass and plexiglass tend to filter out UV rays which you don't want.

I've been looking at 6 lamp t5s and they seem the better option just that they are addressed pricey as a decent led unit for a decent quality one and also, the dreaded tube changes.
I'm leaning more towards led fixtures as I wouldn't need to have the glass cover I was talking about because of the low heat and ill be able to build them into a lid, problem is id really like to do some harder sps in this tank, I just really worry about if leds can ACTUALLY grow AND not bleach acros and other sps.

LEDs are the best option and yes for the same price or close to a 6 lamp t5. As long as you get dimmable ones you can dial back the output and not bleach your corals.

Exactly what I've been looking at two 120w dimmable units with an external wireless controller as long as they are sps friendly then I think this is what I'll go for as they are a little more functionable than the t5's

Look up taotronics dimmable LEDs, they are cheaper and there are other members on here that use them and have good reviews of them.

I've looked at the taotronics units they're not quite as functionable as the one I'm looking at and are pretty similarly priced. Also for the life of me on can't find a supplier that ships to the UK. I'll post a link to the ones I'm looking at.

Also guys looking for a sand sifting goby. Any advice on ones that aren't going to cover all my corals would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom