20Long planted build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can get 100% polyfill at Walmart, Target, or any craft store. It's way cheaper to get it at these places! I"ve never had any problems with it slowing the filter. It can slow it if enough is used after the polyfill gets really dirty since the dirtier the polyfill gets the smaller the particles it can catch.

Nevermind I figured it out! How will I kmow if its safe to use? Is pure cotton the same?

You want 100% Polyfill, poly is polyester fibers and won't break down in water as cotton would. You don't want cotton. Polyfill is Filterfloss but by calling it that they can charge you more... lol!

You want 100% Polyfill, poly is polyester fibers and won't break down in water as cotton would. You don't want cotton. Polyfill is Filterfloss but by calling it that they can charge you more... lol!

Yeah I noticed. I decided to get it at petco today because I didnt feel like goin to an overcrowded walmart today. I also bought an ac 20 sponge to put onto the filter intake so it doesnt suck sand up. If I leave the tube on it, its 1/2" from the sand

When I got home the tank was really cloudy. I guess from the tanins? What color would it be? Its like a white tan haze

Tannins make water look like there is tea in it. A white haze in a newly set up tank is usually a bacterial bloom and is quite normal.

Tannins make water look like there is tea in it. A white haze in a newly set up tank is usually a bacterial bloom and is quite normal.

But I just set it up yesterday? It had a brownish haze to it. Maybe like a super light brown but not tea color

It'll probably get worse and end up tea color.

Whoooo hoooo! Tea! I planted my first plant! Its gonna outgrow this tank!
img_2621914_0_de8de823206b550c955012e5a6a12ee2.jpg

All parameters came up 0 so its not the cycle and ph is 7.8 to 8.0 color is too close to tell

Could be dust from the sand too. Did you rinse it well? Anyways, I'm sure you'll get it resolved soon. Amazon sword dead center of the tank? It's gonna get huge! Haha

Could be dust from the sand too. Did you rinse it well? Anyways, I'm sure you'll get it resolved soon. Amazon sword dead center of the tank? It's gonna get huge! Haha

Yes I rinsed the heck outta it! I didnt know where to add it. Its my favorite plant so I dono! I may leave it and work around it or I may end up moving it but not sure where? I may let it grow big and add it to my 36g for some extra color.

Would giant hairgrass work in this 20L? I know its tall but it tends to fold over in a way?

Do yall think its safe to add my betta to the tank? Once my 36g is fully cycled, im sending a bag og bio media to the 20L

It's hard to tell from the pic if its cloudy or just tea colored... I probably would have put it in the corner, slightly off center, or in your other tank... With dirted tanks you wanna make sure you're planting stuff where you want it to stay. If you're not careful you can make a nice mess when uprooting plants... Especially an amazon sword. Their roots grow like crazy long... The hair grass would be cool, it'll end up growing long and the tops will float on the surface, makes for a cool natural look.

It's hard to tell from the pic if its cloudy or just tea colored... I probably would have put it in the corner, slightly of center, or in your other tank... With dirted tanks you wanna make sure you're planting stuff where you want it to stay. If you're not careful you can make a nice mess when uprooting plants... Especially an amazon sword. Their roots grow like crazy long... The hair grass would be cool, it'll end up growing long and the tops will float on the surface, makes for a cool natural look.

Yeah I heard about leaving it in one place! Telling me that is like telling a kid he cant have candy! I like to move stuff alot but ima give this one a go with not moving a bunch! I may move the giant hairgrass to the 20L then. Itll give the betta some cover! Ill definitely consider moving the sword to a more suitable spot like the spot you said. Oh and I did a 50% water change and then took the picture so yes it cleared up a bit. I know itlk be cloudy tomorrow so ill take another.

Where should I put/plant the GHG?

Whats a good spot for the giant hairgrass? Its located in a tiny bit of sand for now? Should I put it all to one side?
img_2622443_0_9646f13e74205058a3fec036d1a89ed1.jpg

So I discovered my betta doesnt like the high flow of the filter? What do I do about that?

Im also gonna be doing diy co2 for now till I decide to buy liquid Co2

I moved em all to the very right side so the grow across the tank. Anyone know a good dw site? Not the manzanita site. I dont want those for this tank

You can find really good driftwood at www. Greenleafaquarium.com. They have everything you need for a planted tank. I just got my PPS-pro ferts in. Very fast shipping

Have you thought anymore about you plant selection?

You can find really good driftwood at www. Greenleafaquarium.com. They have everything you need for a planted tank. I just got my PPS-pro ferts in. Very fast shipping

Have you thought anymore about you plant selection?

No not yet. Its a slow start. Im gonna check our my LFS for plants first. They have amazing plant setups

Back
Top Bottom