29 Gallon Planted Build...Advice Appreciated!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, I will check the dollar store this weekend.

I will have to play with my co2...my DC was blue-green with 2-2.5 BPS and being diffused by the ceramic diffuser and then filter. Would going 3.5-4 be better or 3-3.5 be a better choice?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would do the latter and play it conservatively. Kudos if you can tune it that tightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would fiddle around with it when you have time to keep an eye on it. You want to experiment slowly so you don't get too much gas in there.

I would do the latter and play it conservatively. Kudos if you can tune it that tightly.

I just turn it a tiny bit, and count the bubbles for 10 seconds. Divide by 10 and that gives me the BPS. Can't imagine trying to count each bubble in 1 second to find the bps.

I would fiddle around with it when you have time to keep an eye on it. You want to experiment slowly so you don't get too much gas in there.

Ok thanks. I will mess with the co2 on Sunday. Will do my pwc Saturday so I don't mess up the co2 levels Sunday.

I was surprised that the 2 bps wasn't enough for a lime green DC. Guess I under estimated my plants

Co2 is adjusted to 3-4 BPS. I figured I had nothing else to do so watching the DC is something.

On a side note I'm acclimating the 2 kuhlies I have to the tank from QT. I still have been unable to get any more, but will try again this weekend now that the QT is empty...well besides the pond snails.

DC is now a nice solid green with the increased bps. Won't be adjusting that now unless I see the need for it.

Going to order the pps-pro pro tomorrow

Also saw one of the kuhlies eating on a piece of flake food :D

Took an fts last night but never posted it so...

The kuhlis come out sometimes which is really nice.

Top shot of my stars.
They look nice and healthy towards the center but not so much on the side. The side is better than what it used to be though.

Update: PPS-PRO ferts and an extra 500mL bottle have arrived, just have to get the mini turkey baster things and a jug of water. I was busy last weekend and couldn't run out so will get everything this weekend. GSA you will not win!

Proper elodea/anacharis disposal right? Sister wanted ducks and I have a plant they naturally eat

Went to lfs earlier today (after the quackers dried off in the sun) and bought 4 gallons of RO water and 2 assassin snails. Came home to find a baby assassin in the tank :banghead: Baby went to the 10 gallon to grow up, and the two new comers went into the 29.

Sitting down for dinner soon so will have a more longer week run down later.

Also to start out I am going to miz the PPS-PRO like this. Bottle 1-K2SO4 29 grams, KH2PO4 3 grams, and MgSO4 20 grams. Botttle 2-Plantex CSM+B 40g rams. Bottle 3- KNO3 33 grams

I actually need an assasin snail;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When this little guy gets bigger I will have to send him your way then. If he wasn't on the glass I would never have noticed him.

When this little guy gets bigger I will have to send him your way then. If he wasn't on the glass I would never have noticed him.

I used to have a huge colony, almost 50, came from 4 originals. I actually have one in my 20t but I've seen him once in the last 2 months. I have a pond snail problem developing in the 7.5, i hate pond snails..

Weekly update:

Ludwigia is like the anacharis from what I can tell. I'll have to pull and replant just the tops next weekend to thin the bottom out. My anubias is sending up a second flower:D. The wisteria is being shaded by the ludwigia so it isn't doing as good as it was a month ago. Other plants are going good and I can't complain about them.

Fish/invert wise I found my amano shrimp which I thought was dead weeks ago. Also confirmed that I have 3 otos, still hope I have the fourth one but haven't seen four at one time in a long time. MTS babies are numerous in the tank so hopefully the assassins will cull them. Having found the one baby assassin I would bet that there are more little assassins crawling (right word??) In the tank.
Ok done talking now, picture time.

Blyxa close up. New growth looks really good and the old growth isn't melting anymore either.

Any ID on this algae? Slimy, green, and flat are the physical characteristics. Kinda like a slimy latex glove on the leaf and some stems.

FTS

Does anyone have any tips for finding an assassin snail? I can't find the one I put in my 10 gallon, but I did see him earlier in the week.
Saw at least 5 baby killers in the 10 gallon so that was cool since I only put 1 in last week.

Brookster-the kuhlies are loving the blyxa. Was watching the 29 earlier and one was working its way back and fourth looking for food.
Couldn't find the second kuhli, but they have more than enough food to be happy.

Bacopa and wisteria might switch places to give the bacopa some more room. It has started growing nicely now from being frozen when I got it.

Should have been more specific. Meant like bait for a snail trap

Should have been more specific. Meant like bait for a snail trap

Ohhh, they used to swarm veggie wafers for me.. you could just scoop them right out.

Back
Top Bottom