29 Gallon Planted Build...Advice Appreciated!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your tanks look nice. Mine on the other hand looks like poo. Great job thus far.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive only just come onto this thread and im really not going to read over 1000 replies so excuse my ignorance to tank specs.

It is a known fact that in a high tech tank with good lighting, decent ferts and a carbon source, plant growth is accelerated. Plants growing at this rate produce bi products other than o2. This bio waste can be detrimental as algae can feed upon it. That is why in high tech tanks it is strongly recommended to change 50% of the water weekly to try help this issue.

I dont know what your water change schedule is, but i read a post where you were advised to do a large water change (50-75%) after some treatment. Well in my opinion you should be doing 50% weekly as it is.

Please ignore if you currently do 50% changes

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

About the added light.. if you're having good results with just the led I wouldn't add anything.. balance is key. None of my tanks are high light. I turn the bml down to 75%, does alright there:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

About the added light.. if you're having good results with just the led I wouldn't add anything.. balance is key. None of my tanks are high light. I turn the bml down to 75%, does alright there:)

I got mine running at 40% to find the ideal balance for me. Although im slowly turning my tank into a 'slow grower'. Quite the challenge trying to grow lower light plants healthily with a bml

Ive only just come onto this thread and im really not going to read over 1000 replies so excuse my ignorance to tank specs.

It is a known fact that in a high tech tank with good lighting, decent ferts and a carbon source, plant growth is accelerated. Plants growing at this rate produce bi products other than o2. This bio waste can be detrimental as algae can feed upon it. That is why in high tech tanks it is strongly recommended to change 50% of the water weekly to try help this issue.

I dont know what your water change schedule is, but i read a post where you were advised to do a large water change (50-75%) after some treatment. Well in my opinion you should be doing 50% weekly as it is.

Please ignore if you currently do 50% changes

Welcome to the thread!

Specs-29 gal, 3.5 BPS pressurized, PPS-PRO ferts 3ml daily, fluval led light, 23watt CFL spotlight.
50% pwc since every Sunday afternoon

What are talking about? Your tank looks good.
About the CFL, I had it over my Limno for a few days but noticed that the new leaves on the Ludwigia sp red appeared a bit shriveled. I'm thinking not enough CO2 for the amount of light. The Ludwigia grows fast anyhow. So I moved it back over the pogo and Rotala macrandra.
Not sure if the H2O2 will impact the effectiveness of the erythromycin. Just something to think about.
The erythromycin treatment should take no more than 10 days.

I will give the cfl a week or so amd if it isn't helping I'll remove it.
I'll also holds off on h202 treatment until the erythromycin is done.

Your thanks looks nice. Mine on the other hand looks like poo. Great job thus far.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks

I'm having good growth, but I adeed the cfl to try and get the ludwigia to color up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm having good growth, but I adeed the cfl to try and get the ludwigia to color up.

You might have to find a different cultivar if you want red. I bought some ludwigia that I thought would turn red, but I think it was mislabeled which isn't surprising. It ended up being a reddish gold color. It's nice, but I'd like to find a true red ludwigia also.

Just get some ludwiga sp. Red! Grows the same just super red.

Just get some ludwiga sp. Red! Grows the same just super red.

Yeah, that's what I thought I was buying. It was green at first, and I thought maybe it would turn red since the tag in the pot said ludwigia repens "red rubin". :facepalm:

Yeah, that's what I thought I was buying. It was green at first, and I thought maybe it would turn red since the tag in the pot said ludwigia repens "red rubin". :facepalm:

Thats probably what i have. Red under the leafs but green on top

Edit: after more research it seems that the ludwigia sp. rubin is more likely to turn green compared to the ludwigia sp. red. :mad: If the picture on post #13 in the link is right I do have the ludwigia sp. red http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=200212

Plant probs...

This is sp. Red. You probably have ludwiga repens. I just threw out a ton of this stuff:(

Attachments

• 1432050908851.jpg
    1432050908851.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 63
The leaf structure looks the same as mine but color isn't. I'll take a close up after school but post 1016 is the best close up I currently have.

Is the only difference the color? That the only difference I can see.

Found a dead oto in my skimmer after maintenance, not sure what killed him either. Dosed an extra millimeter of prime to knock out the chlorine faster and reduce any extra stress.

I used to have ludwigia repens as well. Still have ludwigia sp. red. L. Repens definitely has larger leaves and stems by comparison.

Tank is looking good, btw.

Thanks!

I'll keep the L. Repens until I can se of the Ludwigia sp. Red over the summer. Also not sure what to do with the elodea, have to pull and replant the tops next weekend because the bottoms are ?

Picture time...

One plant that I'm really happy with
Spotlight time

Full strength light FTS

BGA is all gone and the hair algae is almost all gone too

Looks good man! Stars are making a run for it prison break style.. better put the spotlight on em:p

Back
Top Bottom