55 gal Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool will add more later
Looking for some driftwood also

Oh I am going to make more sister n law is bringing me some slab rock from her hubbies
Rock yard

I've actually used pool filter sand and have had good luck. As far as rock structures, I like using a mix of egg rock and limestone. I'm in Kansas near the flint hills and limestone is very readily available in many sizes and shapes.

Attachments

• image-2197790023.jpg
    image-2197790023.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 123
  • image-3905656754.jpg
    image-3905656754.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 119
  • image-3716831429.jpg
    image-3716831429.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 121
  • image-2539600506.jpg
    image-2539600506.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 113
I wish there where places like that here in Texas... I might have to take a trip the the river near the dam area to find nice stones and driftwood..

Thanks. I've really enjoyed this one. it's my third set up and the first time I've used these materials. My Mbuna tank is still gravel and limestone....no egg rock. The next time I redo it I will probably do something similar. The sand is so much cleaner to use than gravel.

I know I put my sand in after giving it a good cleaning and my tank looks so clean. I thought it would be real dirty with all the sand.

I am gonna be adding plants as well. And more rocks and a piece of driftwood later.

In this tank I have a pretty decent sized power head and decent size pump that creates A LOT of current. Because of that coupled with the sand, the tanks appearance is always changing. You can actually see the sand being moved around. Keeps things interesting.

I wish there where places like that here in Texas... I might have to take a trip the the river near the dam area to find nice stones and driftwood..

Where in Texas? The hill country has tons of holey rock just laying in the fields. Plus most of the LFS around here sell it.

Seguin Texas
I did a 50% water change and my fish are all at the top of the water now and the Algae eater is going nuts he try's to swim to the top and falls to the bottom.....

Oops wrong thread!! Ment to post it in my 10 gallon thread...

My bad

So should I start out with 3 cichlids in my 55 gal tank to cycle it?

You can do a fish in cycle, but be prepared to be doing daily water changes to control the ammonia. Personally, I do fish less cycles. On the home page for the forum, there are some articles on how to do both.

There are actually lots if places in TX to get limestone. Areas around Austin are actually where Texas Holey Rock comes from. There are lots of areas around here in FW that have fossilferous rocks. I actually have a couple of pieces of an Ammonite in my Mbuna tank. It is all limestone.

yeah I was thinking of hitting Canyon dam river and see whats there after all this rain is done.. might not want to go down there right now.

Well it's time for some updates...

I found out why I am having so much ammonia. my tap water has 1ppm from the tap. So the search was on I jumped on the chat here on aquarium advice and the guys & gals pointed me in the right directions with all the questions I ask!! Thanks guys!!!! so I checked my moms well water Ammonia was good but there was high Nitrats (bright RED) no good I was told. so the search was on again went by my sisters ask her for some water to test she looked at me like I was stupid or something... sister-->:nono: :lol:<---me so I told her waht I was useing it for and sister--->:facepalm: :ROFLMAO:<---me. hers was perfect. PH= 7.2 Ammonia =0 Nitrites=0 Nitrates=0.. ok got 2 5gallon jugs and a 40 gallon water tank I had in the shed.. oh yeah this is fun.. put the trailer on the jeep strapped it all down and away I went... I have done 1 50% water change added my declohrinator to the water and tank.. gonna let it filter for the night and do another 50% tommorow... oh yeah the tap water at my sisters has a grren tint to the water... weird....:eek:

added 2 Cichlids today.
pics coming soon!!!

Well I added 2 Jeweled Ciclids the other day all my levels are doing good. Doing regular DWC. 25% - 30% WC. Only thing is the 2 new ones seem to fight all the time! I think they are both males. Both are a light brown with silver spots.

image-2051224152.jpg

image-2556049613.jpg

The little yellow one acts like the ref and keeps breaking them up when ever they start fighting.

Ok ppl here are some more shots of the 55 gallon tank...

71915-albums11186-picture53576t.jpg
Left Side of tank.. not sure what the brown spot is maybe someone can help me with that...

71915-albums11186-picture53577t.jpg
Right side of tank..

71915-albums11186-picture53579t.jpg
Closer shot of brown stuff on glass...
a few of the cichlids playing...

71915-albums11186-picture53581t.jpg
one of my Jewel cichlid pair...

71915-albums11186-picture53582t.jpg
the other jewel cichlid always hideing..

71915-albums11186-picture53585t.jpg
not sure what this yellow guy is.. i just think it's a pretty yellow. my nephew says it has a mohawk..

71915-albums11186-picture53584t.jpg
this little guy was a gray color now it's a pretty blue...

71915-albums11186-picture53583t.jpg
not sure on this one either..

71915-albums11057-picture53595t.jpg
55 Gallon cichlid tank & 5 gallon Molly fry tank...

hope you enjoy the shots...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom