55 gal stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hey guys, for my birthday i am going to get a 55 gal for sure now, all i need to do is stocking

what do you recommend

this is what i want to go with i really want to go with a really aggressive

i want to put 10 Red Belly Pacus

is that good? or what do you recommend for some really evil fish that i can get that are big mean and lots of them?

Sometimes, if you put together many "big mean" fish, they will kill each other. Are you looking for African's (Auratus)?

One red bellied pacu would outgrow that tank by a long shot, let alone multiple ones.

well i have been reading and they are really slow growers but what i want to know is what is the most aggressive biggest fish you know of?

how about 2 jack dempseys?

You could do two Dempseys, but remember that the big mean fish are awesome, but very dirty, and like to eat other tankmates. The 10 Pacu idea is prob. not the best, I would go with the meaner cichlids like Oscars, Dempseys, Texas, Midas, etc. But I would pick one kind of fish and stick with it, and prob. no more than two of them in your tank.

Let us know what you decide.

Texas, dempseys, flowerhorns can all be killers. My meanest fish right now is one of my shell dwellers, a real jerk fish :)
Pacus get freakin huge though, think I would pass on those.

IMO a 75 gallon tank would be the minimum necessary for one Jack Dempsey, let alone 2- they get huge. In fact, I kept one for a while but gave it to my favorite LFS once I found out that it would outgrow my 55 gallon tank.

so i cant do 2 dempseys?

how about 3-4 Jewel Cichlids, i heard they are evil

and what about 2 red devils?

personally i want like 2 oscars in the 55 gal but a 55 gal is a minimum for just 1 full grown oscar :? and it makes me sad cause i want quite a few oscars

what other big, mean aggressive fish do you guys reccomend fot the 55 gal?

Not sure about the jewel cichlids, I don't think they get that big so maybe you could keep a few of them. I heard they're pretty mean too. :twisted: For red devils I would say no way- I believe they grow up to 12-14 inches. I wouldn't even put one adult RD in a 55 gallon. Same goes for oscars, they also grow to about 12-14 inches as well and I wouldn't keep one in anything less than 75 gallons. Think about it this way: a 55 gallon tank is (I think) 48 inches long and 12 or 13 inches wide. If you keep a 14 inch fish in there, the tank is not even wide enough for the fish to turn around in comfortably. JMO but that doesn't seem right to me. A 75 gallon tank is also 48 inches long, but 18 inches wide; this would afford more swimming room for a large fish, even though IMO this would still be barely adequate.

As I see it, you could either convice your parents to buy you a 75 instead of a 55, or you could choose fish that will not outgrow your tank. What about a Malawi mbuna tank? Those cichlids are notoriously aggressive, and very active and colorful. You could probably keep quite a few in there as long as you overfilter the tank (the Whisper filters won't cut it in a cichlid tank that size, IMO).

well i want like a tank with really mean fish that will try to bite anyone but me if they put their hand near the tank also

how many jack would fit in a 55?

ok, well i want like i said a really mean tank

and i want some really mean fish that are beautiful and big and i can atleast get 2 of them

well, convicts to me, arent all that pretty and they dont act aggressive enough to me

how about pike cichlids?

Definitely not the larger pikes, and the smaller pikes don't seem to be all that aggressive from what I understand. Check out some of these:
http://www.geocities.com/napavalley/5491/photos.html

My female convict is really pretty, and she's mean too!
img_386972_0_376363d2914a31468ab53ba9072498d9.jpg

Hey, what about some firemouths? They are really cool and can be pretty aggressive (although mine's not so much).

i like her green fins those are pretty, also

how many convicts will go into a 55 gal, are they carnivourous, how big do they get, and what other tank mates will go with them?

Back
Top Bottom