55g reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll look into the gfo, I'm gonna do 20g for now then next weekend I'll do another since my rodi will be in.

Good plan. That ro/di unit will be the key to the algae issues. :-D It will take a few weeks of water changes to see the difference though so be prepared. I also started with tap water and it took a few months of constant water changes to get my levels down.

Good luck!

Well I got a water change done, ended up being about 25g so with water displacement it was about 50% I also scraped all the algae off the back glass and there was loads. All water that went in was rodi that I bought. I also cleaned out my filter floss in the canister. It was actually pretty clean just had sediment from when I put my sand in. Topoff water is also rodi so once I get home Friday I should be good to go on rodi only since my filter should be here early this week.

So I am looking for some very specific corals and after trolling local reef forums and pestering all the reef shops in my area I have had some luck. I managed to track down some blue sympodium and better yet I found a blue with green mouth prism favia. The favia is on hold for me and the sympodium will be fragged in a couple weeks so I'll get some set aside there also. Now to find my ultra green torch and a nice blasto. I'll attach a pic of the actual favia I will be getting.

Amazing looking favia! In terms of the blue symphodium I wish you would have asked me. Besides liveaquaria, saltwaterfish.com has finally got restocked with it and had it part of their 25 dollar deal from the other week. Amazing coral, I loved my symphodium before I killed it.

Thanks sniper, the problem with ordering online is that I'm in Canada so most places won't ship here and if I find one that does it posses another issue. I work out of town all week plus I live in a small town about an hour from the airport so I have the issue of being home when it arrives and driving to pick it up. It's no biggie though cause one of the shops in the city has some sympodium that they will be fragging out in a couple weeks so I will get it then. Probably pay a premium for it but it's all supply and demand and the supply is thin.

Sniperhank said:
Amazing looking favia! In terms of the blue symphodium I wish you would have asked me. Besides liveaquaria, saltwaterfish.com has finally got restocked with it and had it part of their 25 dollar deal from the other week. Amazing coral, I loved my symphodium before I killed it.

How did you kill it?

Well it's Friday and I'm itching to get home, have some packages to open. One is my RODI the other is my test kit and wave maker, just waiting on my ATO. I ordered the natural wave power bar wave maker as it looked easy to use and will run three PH so i should get nice random flow. I'm also going to get my favia tomorrow so stoked. I'll post pics of things once I get home and start playing.

so got home and got my packages opened and low and behold they shipped my wave maker seperate grrrrrrrr. on the upside my test kit arrived (api reef master) so i ran some test on my water, nitrates are 0, phosphates are 0, calcium is 400, alk is 8, ph is 8. i also got my rodi and it should be an easy install which will be happening tomorrow after my trip to the city. i am getting more salt and some food stuff aswell as my favia. i may also get another coral if i can find one of the must haves on my list.

So I got everything from my shopping list along with some additions/substitutions. I picked up my favia which is an Aussie purple and green 16 head frag. I also got a radioactive green favia, I was planning on black widow blasto but with the favia and BSP I have enough blue so I saw the nuclear green and substituted that for the blasto. All I am after now is the ultra green torch. I also got some garlic guard and NLS marine pellets along with an additional actinic bulb. I picked up some aiptasia x which seems to work awesome.

Well my auto top off and wave maker arrived this week. Best news was that I won't be working out of town for a while so I can be home with the family and of course watch my tank lol. In the process of installing my ATo which is being a pain in the butt. Heating and bending brackets sux. Other than everything is looking good except my prism favia appears to be bleaching so I moved it and hopefully that helps. All other corals have shown growth and look happy including my other favia.

So some updates, my app was acting up so wasn't able to update till now. Got my ATO installed and running which works great, looking forward to not manually topping off. I also did a 15g water change yesterday which included ripping out a bunch of hair algae. Pretty much got it all out, the toothbrush technique works well. My prism favia seems to be doing better but I still haven't seen feeder tentacles extended unlike my nuclear green favia which fires em out as soon as daylights go out. I've also found more aiptasia which I hit with aiptasia X. My candy came has split a couple new heads out with a third on its way. So far things are coming along nicely. As soon as I can I want a couple more pumps, one small powerhead to run blasting across the back of the tank and larger pump for my skimmer.

I also forgot to mention something from the other night after I did my water change. As I was feeding the tank, I noticed movement under a rock. As I watched it turned out to be the mystery crab that came in on my LR. It's confirmed it's a porcelain crab. Though it did appear to be holding a couple small anemones one in each claw. It was cool to see it since its the first sighting after adding the rock about 2 months ago. On another note my prism favia seems to perking up, target feeding seems to help.

kdpuffer said:
I also forgot to mention something from the other night after I did my water change. As I was feeding the tank, I noticed movement under a rock. As I watched it turned out to be the mystery crab that came in on my LR. It's confirmed it's a porcelain crab. Though it did appear to be holding a couple small anemones one in each claw. It was cool to see it since its the first sighting after adding the rock about 2 months ago. On another note my prism favia seems to perking up, target feeding seems to help.

You sure its not a pom pom crab

So feeding the tank today and my prism favia finally showed interest in food. I have been dusting it with some liquid from thawing mysis in hopes of getting it interested and low and behold its paying off. Feeders came out and it actually took some food. All 16 heads too, yay.

So all is going well in the tank, except the algae grrrrr. I need to get some GFO and am thinking a lettuce nudi. In the meantime I am hoping to get to the city this weekend and pick up a new powerhead for mixing and hopefully get my kole tang. Next week the LFS gets his order list so I'll see what he has available and hopefully get something else new to throw in. He doesn't have access to alot of coral but says he gets alot of fish so maybe I can get my bicolor blenny and perhaps a few more snails and peppermint shrimp. I'm also tossing around the idea of a firefish but that's up in the air still. That would put my stock at- 2 oscelleris clowns, 1 kole tang, 1 bicolor blenny, 1 cleaner shrimp, 3 emerald crabs, 1 Halloween hermit, 1 dwarf blue leg hermit and my elusive Pom Pom crab plus corals. Still waiting on my blue sympodium which has been delayed by a nudi attack. Once the colony recovers they will be fragging and then it's all mine. After that it's probably not going to change much till things grow in some and I can get a better idea on what else to add for coral. That will be all I add once the fish listed above are in. In the meantime I'm thinking of turning my 29g into a seahorse tank, thoughts and opinions?

Back
Top Bottom