African Cichlid Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JM

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently decided to get some african cichlids for one of my tanks. I didn't know much about them so i bought some literature and asked around at some pet stores to see what i would need. I now have 5 small cichlids in a 30 gallon tank. I built a structure out of large calcium coral rocks because i read that they like caves and hiding places. Two of the cichlids both of the same species seem to have made one particular part of the structure their home and chase away any othe cichlid that goes near "their" area. Are these fish just being territorial or is it possible that they are breeding in this area. It is a small cave area on the bottom of the tank. The floor substrate that they lay on is small pebbles.

They are Pseudotropheus Elongatus.

It's possibly the sign of spawning but you won't know for sure until you see a female holding eggs. Elongatus are pretty aggressive and territorial, so that may be what you're seeing.

If I recall correctly, they are mouth brooders. I think that you can keep multiple females with one male. I think that they are also one of the more aggressive pseudotropheus species. If she is holding eggs I'd put her in her own tank until she releases the fry and then isolate the fry lest they become food for the others.

I have a tank of cichlids and that is defenite spaning behaveure but most african cichlids protect their fry very well. I think they will be fine in the tank with the others.

You'd be better off with a higher female-to-male ratio: this'll displace the attention an over-zealous male would focus on just a single female. Plus, two male elongatus in a 30 gallon tank will constantly bicker over territory and females.

Although some Africans are decent parents, mbuna aren't. If you're interested in breeding, you'll want to set up a nursery tank to place the female in when you first notice she's holding. This'll provide a place for her to recover, as well as an aquarium free of predators. Otherwise, a few may survive in the main tank (if given ample hiding places), but the majority will get eaten by the other fish because the parents don't care for them after their released.

When i got them i didn't really take into consideration the male/female ratio. I am not trying to breed them i just happened to get two elongatus and one was male and one was female and i noticed this behavior after about a week. The other three cichlids in the tank are males, not elongatus though, they are differnet species. Thanks for the advice.

Hi JM, The one thing that you must remember is if you go for African Cichlids you must stay with them. Dont try and add non african fish with them because they will kill them, african cichlids are very aggressive and territorial. The behavior you have mentioned is definitely a breeding ritual. Look in the females mouth to see if she is carrying any eggs, if you can when buying your africans try to get a trio ie. one male to two females.

The other three fish are african cichlids just different species from the two that are displaying this behavior. I think i might try to get another female elongatus so that there is 2 females and 1 male. Thanx.

One Pseudotropheus socolofi(light blue almost white at times) and two Neolamprologus tretocephalus(one blue and one yellow). In the past few days i have noticed that the Pseudotropheus socolofi has began to dominate the tank. He is very aggressive towards the other fish.(chasing and fin nipping)

Oh man, I love the trets. I haven't seen them locally for probably 15 years. Yellow Tretocephalus? I'm not familiar with them.

Sorry. Yellow one is a Neolamprologus sexfasciatus.

Back
Top Bottom