African cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read that wrong.

However I wouldn't recommend 12 fish in that size tank. It has too small of a footprint unless you are doing dwarf cichlids or shell dwellers.

I'm not goin to do 12 he was just saying it could be done. And nothing over 4-6 inches. I already got an oscar and a jack that's it for big fish. Other than our cat fish!

And like I said, 4-6" is too big for that size tank. You are only looking at 36" to work with and fish that size need more than that to swim.

Ook well than I guess he will jus go wit a 55g or 65 and get like 4 of them. I don't even know what kind of cichlid we are getting yet I just wanted advise on the tank size I should have him get. It will be good two months if not longer before stocking. Cycling and research time :)

mikeISright said:
If you get a 55 gallon you could easily do 12-16. I would do no less than 8. 46 gallon is fine for 6-8

Ok thank you very much :)

Just ask convict, he had massive issues with his tank after a certain cichlid went rogue. Picking the right species is key to long term success, overstocking leads to so many more issues, including water condition. Nothing beats good old fashioned research. With that said, 4 cichlids is not a feasible amount, as there is some truth to the overstocking idea. You want a well stocked tank to displace the aggression from one individual, to basically every individual. That way, one individual isn't going to be hounded to death.

For the tank size, I must agree that a 46 gallon bow front is inadequate for most Africans. The bigger, the better. If a 65 is within budget, go for it. This will give you many more options and possibilities.

Basically, the main focus shroud be research. Be wary of what most LFS tell you,, ESPECIALLY chain stores like petsmart or petco. They will usually tell you what you WANT to hear, not what you NEED to hear ;) avoid impulse buys at all cost otherwise you will have issue. Research (and other than just asking on here, google it up!) is the key ;)

Yes I am doin lots of research on all cichlids to find out what's going to be best for us. I think I will go with a 65 (maybe talk him into a 75 but we'll see as said before its going in his shop) so we have lots of options and not just limited to certain things or number that cud be deadly.

Back
Top Bottom