Angels breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your the man, Clem. Glad your joining in the fun. Like the tank brother. Remind me, please. What type of discus are those?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Poppa, I'm not sure of there type, I bought them young at a Chinese lfs. I always wanted Discus, so I had to get them, even though I had no experience with them, they proved me wrong , Dem Discus. They are very hardy, good colors, they're very close as good friends should be, but I'm not sure who's the guy or girl. Love to breed them out too if they ever decide to get together. I'm not sure of there age, but they were about half the size when I got them about eight months ago. I've seen many a Discus Bro, not mention your beauties!!! :blink: you tell me what you think they are. They're current names for both are, the MISFITS the only two left in the tank no one wanted [emoji22] when I got them so cheap $30 a pair!

Clem

Gimme a good closeup pic... And we'll get ya an ID.

poppa, i'm not sure of there type, i bought them young at a chinese lfs. I always wanted discus, so i had to get them, even though i had no experience with them, they proved me wrong , dem discus. They are very hardy, good colors, they're very close as good friends should be, but i'm not sure who's the guy or girl. Love to breed them out too if they ever decide to get together. I'm not sure of there age, but they were about half the size when i got them about eight months ago. I've seen many a discus bro, not mention your beauties!!! :blink: You tell me what you think they are. They're current names for both are, the misfits the only two left in the tank no one wanted [emoji22] when i got them so cheap $30 a pair!

Clem
uploadfromtaptalk1447209215727.jpg]uploadfromtaptalk1447209321055.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1447209215727.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1447209215727.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 52
They have pigeon blood genes thats for sure... How big are they?

They have pigeon blood genes thats for sure... How big are they?

They're about 3-3/12". I thought the same about the pigeon blood, but I think they are still youngins???
I hope they turn out, not the highest in quality, but they're showing a strong sign of bonding, like a pair?
Just the other day I was in that same lfs, as I was looking for floating plants, and I told the same guy who sold me the Discus at that lfs the fish they had lived and put on some size, and I was happy that they survived and doing well.
One of them seems to be the dominant one the other stays close, it would be a bonus if they were a pair.[emoji39]

Like your selfie pic, the KC hat is boom on your head!!! [emoji106]

Clem

Well there at it again!!!
I just saw some eggs from my other pair, it must be their second time around . I've got to move them soon, I just picked up 5 ,10gal tanks today on sale, it was a good day for sales. These Angels are more aggressive than my other pairs, this time they laid the eggs on an a Amazon sword leaf, but I'm not sure of the viability of these eggs/color, if they ate fertile?

Clemuploadfromtaptalk1448682469553.jpguploadfromtaptalk1448682525376.jpguploadfromtaptalk1448682570426.jpg

I love that marble.... Nice n dark. Keep up the great work, my friend.

Just an FYI: Feed their babies good foods with carotene and they should make Gold Marbles. That was the mix that created them in the first place. (y)

Oooo, excellent idea about the carotene. I'm following this thread and starting out with a batch of angels, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oooo, excellent idea about the carotene. I'm following this thread and starting out with a batch of angels, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The thing is that the original Gold Angels were actually a gold color but now there are 3 types of Golds and the most common is more white than Gold. Carotene foods should bring out the natural Gold in those fish that can get Gold. Not all of them will get that. A few generations of good Golds should bring that golden color back out. I'm working on that myself. :brows:

Hi guys , they ate the eggs. I figured as much that they would. I was out getting some supplies today at the lfs today, I have 5 ,10gals now, some heaters, sponge filters,tubing, connectors. Just getting my equipment ready to start my set ups, mainly for the Angels.
But today I picked up some young bristle nose plecos as I was grabbing up some stuff , its sale all weekend in that lfs , so the plecos were at 25%off so I grabbed them too!!!
It's going to be fun trying to do this, but I got to get it going , my Angels are getting more aggressive[emoji34] .
I think my RAM took some injury, but I'm watching him close too, in case for infection.
Thanks everyone for their input, as I will keep this thread ongoing as to my progress. I don't want to get too ahead of myself I'm thinking of moving in the new year around spring, I need more space and better living arrangements, so only the Angels for now, oh and them guppy fry I have to sex soon, oh and them platties too, I almost forgot them!!![emoji6]
Andy, thanks for your tips on these fish , Angels. They are a fun and beautiful specie's, hope to have my own strains some day!!!

Clem

Nice Clem! Loads of eggs.
Thanks, but they just are fish food. It's hard for the parents to keep them too many predator's, but they defend off as long as possible. They seem like good parent, but my back veils are always ready to spawn too, its neat to see they prefer competition and a rival fish works well too, its gets them to spawning mode. I'm not sure but I think my heater went up a degree or two when I made and adjustment for the winter months ahead, it could have triggered them to spawn??? I'll keep watch on them as I prepare their breeding tanks soon.[emoji40]

Clem

I love that marble.... Nice n dark. Keep up the great work, my friend.

Yea me too, he's got one red and one black eye, orange red on one side of his face. He's like Two Face and has a smile like the joker, as in Batman, he's weird but cool , and he keeps his mate inline and close. I hope they make some viable eggs when they go in their breeder!!!

Clem

The thing is that the original Gold Angels were actually a gold color but now there are 3 types of Golds and the most common is more white than Gold. Carotene foods should bring out the natural Gold in those fish that can get Gold. Not all of them will get that. A few generations of good Golds should bring that golden color back out. I'm working on that myself. :brows:
That is for sure my friend, I haven't seen any golds in a long time now, mine are more white as you say.
There has been a lot lost with these Angel fish, that I'm now seeing that and remembering too how they once looked, you bring back fish memories as to how they looked , the originals! As I study up more I can relate to this, how the change in genetics in breeding over the years can replace the original colors ,shape,size, and even eating habits, just to name a few.
Question?
Should we bring back the originals, or were they just weaker strains to begin with? I think that something old or forgotten can be new again.[emoji6] I would like to bring them back, they would be neat to have ,or sell???

Clem

That is for sure my friend, I haven't seen any golds in a long time now, mine are more white as you say.
There has been a lot lost with these Angel fish, that I'm now seeing that and remembering too how they once looked, you bring back fish memories as to how they looked , the originals! As I study up more I can relate to this, how the change in genetics in breeding over the years can replace the original colors ,shape,size, and even eating habits, just to name a few.
Question?
Should we bring back the originals, or were they just weaker strains to begin with? I think that something old or forgotten can be new again.[emoji6] I would like to bring them back, they would be neat to have ,or sell???

Clem

Some of the older strains weren't fragile per say but were used to create new colors ( because "New" is better :nono:) so many traits have been lost. For example, Blushings were used to make Kois but you don't see many blushing Angels offered. Same with the Zebra Lace. A lot of Zebras out there but not Zebra Lace. Now, many of the original forms are so many generations from wild that they too have lost some traits. Some places ( ie Angels Plus) discuss outcrossing their new lines with wild fish to help bring back the qualities of Angelfish that made them the desirable fish they were and are. Sadly, as I have heard in a couple of conversations with old time pet shops, today's customers have no idea what an Angelfish is really supposed to look like so they buy what they see, misshapen or disfigured, discolored as they may be. One guy told me, he had a brother team breeding Angels for his store and one brother, not knowing the right characteristics of Angels, culled every proper Angel because they didn't look like the ones they saw in the shops. :facepalm: This is just indicative of why the Angels out there are in the shape they are in. One of the reasons I liked the fish in my avatar so much was because he had many of the wild characteristics that most of my current Angels just don't have or show. I'm so sad I lost that fish. :( But I too will be crossing wild fish again so in the future, I too can offer better Angels for sale. It's a long process tho. I only hope I live long enough to see it. ;) (y)

I'll join that cause any day, wise one!!!
As I learn more, I believe that observation is key in the learning process, as much as the books say.
You are rite, rite , rite...and your avatar is a dam good example of a lost fish.
I think over breeding , and crossbreeding from a demanding industry could have causes this, and most of it could have been from ignorance from breeders. I could be wrong, but I just had to say this , and my lfs , the staff have no knowledge on these fish they are selling Angels, I mostly see mixes Angels, and they call Koi , Pinoy blues, but the real names yes are unknown and lost as for the fish we once knew. Lots of work ahead Andy, I know that is true for you my man!!![emoji39]

Clem

Andy, what should we be looking for? I need to know so I don't do the same as those brothers.... I want to help the angelfish cause!

Back
Top Bottom