Aquarium turtle advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha that would be funny but sadly I promised the girlfriend that she could name one. And no they are hiding right now. I had to handle them when I got home so they aren't quite calmed yet. And ya I love them theyre so cool and waaaay smaller than I expected. The problem I am foreseeing in this big tank tho is feeding them. The fish might get all their food before they get a chance to eat! Should I place some food in a bowl of water on their basking dock? The ppl said if I moved them to feed them they may not calm down enough.

It's true if you remove them to feed them you can stress them out and they will spend their time looking for an escape rather than food, do this enough however and they will get used to it, just takes time and bravery, there are advantages to doing this as it minimises the waste food in your tank and keeps the water just that little bit cleaner, and stops you vac'ing so much each water change. However it does stress the turtle alot, and as I own stinkpots I would rather not put up with the rank smell they musk up when they are stressed so I feed on my floating island. I feed them dry reptomin mixed with a cheaper brand with a few drops of tank water on them to make them moist, they are usually gone within a few minutes. I don't use a bowl just clean up well on each water change by wiping the island of any residue.
So you could try a bowl and some food see if they take.

Ok I'll see what I can do. Turt Russel is either lazy,scared, or enjoying the basking too much to go find the water lol. I'm trying to stay out of his pov to see if he starts wandering. The fish in the tank don't know what the turtles are. They follow the turtle and when the turtle turns around they swim away lol. I hope they all become fast friends.

Aw thats so cute, that would be awesome to watch. He's probably just a little scared, once your not there or the lights go out he will be off and away finding a new home. I liked to set the iPad up as a kind of spy cam when mine were tiny to catch them doing all sorts of silly things they won't do when your watching. Lol

Nomadu571 said:
Aw thats so cute, that would be awesome to watch. He's probably just a little scared, once your not there or the lights go out he will be off and away finding a new home. I liked to set the iPad up as a kind of spy cam when mine were tiny to catch them doing all sorts of silly things they won't do when your watching. Lol

Haha that's a good idea! I might have to do that! And hopefully they take to their tank and basking area. I had to remove some of the wall cloth of the basking area because they were climbing the corners and almost got out! Now all corners are declothed and it's just slippery plastic sides. Lol. I can't wait to catch them basking on their own once they learn where their setup is and where to go!

Mumma.of.two said:
Omg how cute!! Congrats :)

Thanks! I'm so excited. Been watching them for an hour and a half sitting on my basement floor lol.

jkdubs2 said:
Thanks! I'm so excited. Been watching them for an hour and a half sitting on my basement floor lol.

I still sit inbetween my hallway, front room to watch mine just out of view, lol. Yeah they are all little escape artists so slippery sides are a good idea. They will soon get used to your tank and make it their own, be prepared for them to re decorate your tank for you. :D

Haha ya I can tell the redecorating will begin as soon as they are strong enough to dig out the roots of the plants. Right now the plants barely move but hopefully the roots will get stronger by the time that happens! And I always get distracted by my tanks and fish! I'll plan on watching tv for an hour before bed and end up listening to the tv and watching my fish.

Tell me what this is please do not say impaction cuz I just got the turtle! There is no way this could have happened by now?!

Attachments

• image-2405194432.jpg
    image-2405194432.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 81
  • image-3772557123.jpg
    image-3772557123.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 97
Agh I think it's gone now.... Heh it might have been poop. I was freaking out.

Hey, I wouldn't have said impaction anyway. Most common is impaction from swallowing
Larger stones that they can't pass, and try sit in the intestinal tract rather than anus and do the damage. I'd have guessed at the other one biting and causing a lump or bruise, but if it's gone then yeah probably poop that hadn't wiped off. How they doing now? A little more confident yet?

Ya I didn't know what it was I was just guessing. But ya they are more confident now. One was basking today the other idk if he basked or not as I was gone all day. My girlfriend decided to name the lighter one Puck.

So puck and Turt russel are doing good. I am catching Turt basking but I have yet to see puck basking yet. Is this a problem? Should I put him on the basking area? Or give him time and when he gets cold enough he will search it out?

Oh and btw I put them in a small clear container inside their tank to feed them and it worked great. And the other fish eat wat the turtles don't.

That's awesome, glad they are eating well, it's always a good sign. And the fish cleaning up is deffo a bonus. Having then in the that tub will save u having crud places you Diddnt know crud cud go! Lol. I wouldn't worry if ones basking and the other isn't, they exhibit individual personalities so maybe puck just likes his temp the way he is, if he gets cold he will search out the heat no trouble. If only worry if he developed diseases or fungus etc because of it, but for now id accept that its just his way. They sound like they are doing fine, and getting on well.
Keep on with the calcium rich 'dry' food, and treats like meil worms once a week. If you get picture happy, I know I do, feel free to post more, basking, exploring whichever, always love a good pic! Lol.

Ok sounds good. What are some common diseases I should look out for and wat do the look like? And ya I shall post more pics now of them swimming with the fish and all that. They are so tiny it's crazy lol. Also should I lower the temp to entice them to bask more? It's at 80 degrees right now.

Attachments

• image-2490385346.jpg
    image-2490385346.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 67
  • image-2477648361.jpg
    image-2477648361.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 80
Also how much UVB does plexi glass filter out? Cuz I bought a t8 strip light 5.0 UVB to shine into the aquarium since puck doesn't bask too often but I'm worried if I remove the plexi glass then evaporation will harm the light fixture. Puck usually hangs out 2 inches right under the current light fixture under the basking platform.

Back
Top Bottom