Beginning to cycle..questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your nitrites are off the charts high and the test can not read the results accurately. If the tube turns purple immediately upon testing then they are off the chart and you do not need to wait. As nitrites start to drop to readable levels, your test will start off blue and gradually turn purple over 5mins- it never works in reverse (purple to blue/grey/white/hot pink etc).

thanks for helpin. ok...well i swear it did turn purple right away but then 5-10mins later it was blue, never did that before.

If it turned purple immediately when you added drops than changed its way over 5ppm test can't read it. This makes more sense now. You did a water change now there more readable. What did the test read. How much water did you change. When you do the nitrite test shake the bottle a bit then add your drops shake wait a couple minutes shake a little more than after your 5 minutes get your reading.

If it turned purple immediately when you added drops than changed its way over 5ppm test can't read it. This makes more sense now. You did a water change now there more readable. What did the test read. How much water did you change. When you do the nitrite test shake the bottle a bit then add your drops shake wait a couple minutes shake a little more than after your 5 minutes get your reading.

not sure exactly what the reading was, im not home anymore. did seem readable i believe. i did 50%.

Well tomorrow when you can since you're doing wc you can do it any time your gonna want to test water first. Then probably do a big water change like I was taking about last night wait about hour test nitrites and more than not you'll be doing another big wc again your goal is .5 or below than add your ammo to get 1ppm no more than that

That's funny jlk you had already said what I was typing I didnt even notice or ida stopped typing and just said yes theres your issue

Oh yeah big line 75 80 percent and don't be surprised if you have to do another 1 right after that 1

In reality your nitrites were probably about 8ppm so you've made them around 5pom now big wc maybe get them to around 2.5 another one get them below 1ppm may even take 3 wc your goal is .5 or less once that's done add ammo 1ppm only. Now you'll get to see nitrates really rise add your cycle continues. Glad you mentioned about the drops changing immediately.

In reality your nitrites were probably about 8ppm so you've made them around 5pom now big wc maybe get them to around 2.5 another one get them below 1ppm may even take 3 wc your goal is .5 or less once that's done add ammo 1ppm only. Now you'll get to see nitrates really rise add your cycle continues. Glad you mentioned about the drops changing immediately.

ok sounds good. thanks for the help really appreciate it!

I wasnt fortunate to get on here early enough about my chicle on the 55 I wasted 8 days figuring out why the nitrites never really went down did the one 50% wc and nothing ever happened finally I got on here wad told you really need to do some big wc gotta get them back down to almost nothing so after 4 almost 100% wc I got them down yeah they were that high I got it going again so thats why I'm on here always trying to help out others I'm sure most on here are the same way. That fixer on here for the fish less cycle is wonderful just wish it told you this part about the big water changes but atleast , got yours right away so no wasted time

Ok like I said don't be surprised if or takes 3. Remember your goal is .5 or less on the nitrites. I'm smoking a pork shoulder right now so I'll be up if you have any questions

Alright! did another big pwc.

nitrites definitely readable now. water doesnt turn dark purple right away haha.

however, its still reading approx. 2 ppm :(

im trying to decide if i should do another now or wait til the morning...

and if i do wait should i put in a small amount of ammonia so the bb can survive?

Back
Top Bottom