Bert's ADA cube garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally I canister filter I can recognise! I've got the same or around that as one of the filters and has been pretty solid filter. (still hate cleaning them though...)

Finally I canister filter I can recognise! I've got the same or around that as one of the filters and has been pretty solid filter. (still hate cleaning them though...)

Haha yea they are abit of a pain to clean. I've got a 750 and a 1200 on my other planted tank and a 1200 on the Oscar tank backing up a 2400lph cheapo eBay filter.

All mine haven't missed a beat [emoji16] those new fluval G series with the filter that just pops out the top look soooo good but I don't think I could spend 7-$800 on a filter lol maybe when I win lotto ;)

Lol - I looked at those and liked them but ended up replacing the nautilus 2700uvc with the same 2700 as cheaper and knew it would just fit in cupboard. They looked really nice but the price!!!

Regulator arrived today! I ended up getting a kegking aquarium regulator. It's a well known brand in Australia for brewing equipment and the reviews online were really good!

Seems like a solid design, it's a lot heavier than my azoo reg and its slightly smaller. Only cost me $88 including postage so I'm pretty happy with it!

Pressure is adjustable so I'll be able to run my old inline diffuser [emoji108][emoji106]

Only need to buy a co2 cylinder and I'll be good to go! Getting close now!

Pic http://pho.to/AjAHh

Ordered the new power supply for my lighting yesterday, hoping it will be here before the end of next week.

Getting my co2 cylinder for this setup on Thursday, also placing a final plant order on Sunday so they will be here and ready to plant by Thursday.

I've got all my filter media loaded into the canisters on the 60g gaining abit of BB before I setup the tank.

So this is my final plant list,
bolbitis heudelotii
Needle leaf Java fern
Created Java fern
Hygrophila pinnifida
Hygro compact (if I have holes to fill)
Crypt wendtii brown
Rotala sp "h'ra"
Rotala sp green
Fissidon fontanus
Hydracote Japan
Monte Carlo
Bylxa japonica
Pogostemon helfari
Liminophila aromatica (maybe)

I've also got mini bolbitis but it's in very ruff shape so not sure if I'll use it yet. Shrimp are currently doing a pretty good job of cleaning it for me so see what happens.

Get excited! I know I am [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Made a Griggs style reactor today, I got the wrong hose barb for the co2 line though [emoji36]

I also didn't allow for a reactor when I cut my filter hoses so I'll need to put it on the intake side of the canister. I don't think this will make any difference unless large bubbles get sucked into the canister and create air pockets. I'll deal with that later if it happens.

Here's a pic of how it came together, total cost was $40

I look forward to seeing what you can come up with. If you can ever get your hands on Threadleaf Java Fern, jump on it. It's a killer plant! Thinner and smaller than Needle Leaf!

I look forward to seeing what you can come up with. If you can ever get your hands on Threadleaf Java Fern, jump on it. It's a killer plant! Thinner and smaller than Needle Leaf!

Well the bloke I bought it off seemed to think it was thread leaf but I'm pretty sure it's needle? I may be wrong lol

Here's a pic of it http://pho.to/AjX8l

Made a Griggs style reactor today, I got the wrong hose barb for the co2 line though [emoji36]

I also didn't allow for a reactor when I cut my filter hoses so I'll need to put it on the intake side of the canister. I don't think this will make any difference unless large bubbles get sucked into the canister and create air pockets. I'll deal with that later if it happens.

Here's a pic of how it came together, total cost was $40

Not sure if the pic posted?

Well the bloke I bought it off seemed to think it was thread leaf but I'm pretty sure it's needle? I may be wrong lol

Here's a pic of it http://pho.to/AjX8l

Sure looks like Needle Leaf. Nice pearling action! I'll be interested to see if my plants pearl with the reactor and added filtration. I've only seen Trident Java Fern pearl after a water change.

Sure looks like Needle Leaf. Nice pearling action! I'll be interested to see if my plants pearl with the reactor and added filtration. I've only seen Trident Java Fern pearl after a water change.

Yea I don't normally see that much pearling on the Java but it was water change day lol ;) the bolbitis however gets covered by the end of the photoperiod. I'm very heavy on the gas though cause I've got a lot of surface agitation aswell. My small canisters spray bar basically aims vertical [emoji106]

don't ask me why I have so much agitation I just have always done it that way lol don't fix it if it ain't broken right? [emoji16]

Drop checker is yellow for the last 2-3 hours of the photo period. Fish don't seem to mind [emoji106]

Yea I don't normally see that much pearling on the Java but it was water change day lol ;) the bolbitis however gets covered by the end of the photoperiod. I'm very heavy on the gas though cause I've got a lot of surface agitation aswell. My small canisters spray bar basically aims vertical [emoji106]

don't ask me why I have so much agitation I just have always done it that way lol don't fix it if it ain't broken right? [emoji16]

Drop checker is yellow for the last 2-3 hours of the photo period. Fish don't seem to mind [emoji106]

That means you have good surface gas exchange. Many don't have that much surface agitation and have to buy a surface skimmer to get rid of the surface film. I have my spray bar pointed at the surface to help oxygenate the water.

Last edited:
That means you have good surface gas exchange. Many don't have that much surface agitation and have to buy a surface skimmer to get rid of the surface film. I have my spray bar pointed at the surface to help oxygenate the water.

Yea I need to invest in a skimmer anyway, just to clear the small leaf litter. It's driving me crazy pulling it all out with the tweezers lol

I went on a plumbing rampage today! I came up with a plan to get the reactor on the outlet side of the canister and I've added a few extras.

In the picture below you will see the filter line to the reactor and then to a t junction with a ball valve that then runs to a hose connection. Keep going up the line and there is another ball valve.

So if I've worked all this out correctly I should be able to lock the far right valve and connect a hose to the hose connection in the middle then open that valve and the filter will drain the water into a hose and out the door for easy water changes. To fill I just have to lock the valve on the head of the canister and open the valve on the right side and it should fill the aquarium using the outlet in the tank weather it be a spray bar or a duck bill.

Sounds great in theory doesn't it? Not sure how Much it will restrict flow but I'd think it shouldn't have too much effect. Hopefully it works lol

Here's the pic of what I'm blabbing on about http://pho.to/Ajg76

So bad news today [emoji20] my plant order hasn't shown up so I can't plant today [emoji35] everything is ready! I've got the co2 all setup and all the plumbing done, heaters in... But missing my final plants! I would just plant it and flood it but I've got some anubias nana petite that needs to be glued to certain spots so I can't flood it untill they arrive.

Plants should have been here Tuesday but have no idea what's happened to them.

Not happy! [emoji36]

So bad news today [emoji20] my plant order hasn't shown up so I can't plant today [emoji35] everything is ready! I've got the co2 all setup and all the plumbing done, heaters in... But missing my final plants! I would just plant it and flood it but I've got some anubias nana petite that needs to be glued to certain spots so I can't flood it untill they arrive.

Not happy! [emoji36]

I've noticed that it is hard to glue down Anubias if the root mass is not small. You may have to pull out some fishing line or stick in nooks and crannies.

Not happy! [emoji36]

Hey, I just had a parcel of plants show up unannounced.... [emoji16]

I've noticed that it is hard to glue down Anubias if the root mass is not small. You may have to pull out some fishing line or stick in nooks and crannies.

Cheers for the heads up [emoji16] I've got some cotton I might have to break out ;)

Haha I must have put the wrong address on it dela! [emoji16][emoji23] dam!

Plants turned up today so I've been very busy! The tank has turned out just how imagined it and it looks AMAZING! I'll be running co2 24/7 at 2bps to the reactor for a few days as I've realised I don't have a power supply for the lights! Doh!!!

I plan on using the power supply from the 60g and I'll run my 8 hour photo period through the night while the 60's lights are out.

Here's the result after planting... I'll get better pics once the bubbles settle and the proper lights are on (just using a spotlight at the moment)
http://pho.to/AjtBq

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom