Bi-polar Cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gibberwatt

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all.

I recently got a half-dozen panda cories for my 29 gallon. Everything was peachy for a few weeks, although I had noticed that they were spending much time hanging out on one of their driftwoods. I put this down to new-habitat-freak-out mode that many fish go into when put in a new tank. Then I noticed that when they got a water change, they would become psycho-fish for a few hours, and then go back to being boring.

I would like to know - are my fish just weird, or do I have a water quality issue? Or is it something completely different?

normal on water changes they are cats so water changes to them are like rain to chanle cats means they get hungrey a bit and breed lol

It's normal. All of my cories (panda, bandit, bronze, leopard, rust) are much more active after water changes and at certain times during the day. When I do water changes the new water I add is always a little cooler so the cories liken it to raining and that often triggers spawning (and lots of dancing!)

My rosy barbs do the same and have gotten to the point that they go hyper now when I start doing the water change...

Bottom dwellers like loaches and cories tend to be either fully nocturnal or at peak activity during dawn/dusk times. They'll tend to chill out and snooze a lot during other times, especially around mid-day. The schizophrenic behavior is fairly common and part of their personalities :)

Back
Top Bottom